Is it ok to soak cpu in alchohol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

is it ok to soak a phenom 955 BE in 90% Isopropyl alcohol for like 5 minuets?

Solution
Nope, far too fragile for that - I just broke an old AM2 board I had trying it (just to see if it could be done) - best bet: squeezing it into place with motherboard removed
Soak? Why would you consider giving your CPU a bath in alcohol? No, in my book, that is entered as a bad idea.
Not the worst idea mind you, if you were to have a need to do so. I can't think of any offhand. You would then need to soak it in distilled water for about 10 minutes, followed by rinsing well with a bit of distilled water, followed by soaking about 15 minutes (with agitation) in distilled water. Finally, drying it for about 48 hours or more depending upon you humidity and heat - it can be done.
Still not advising it.

G

hmmmm thx, i probably wont then. i have another quick question my cpu dosent lie flat on my cpu socket. like if put it into the socket its a little uneven.

G

like the guy that installed my cpu in the first place use this diamond paste and when i took the cpu off the motherboard. the cpu was stuck to the heatsink which caused my cpu socket to bend. i have an am3 cpu socket. is there anyway i can take the cover off the cpu socket and put it back on just to make sure the cpu socket is on correctly?

I'm sorta confused here... what part of the socket is bent? the part that slides? If that part, you may be able to firmly push it down into place. You might have to remove motherboard to do so

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
i have the same issue with my fx 8150 then i read an article of amd cpu they said u can use the tooth pick to straight out pin but first use a tooth dip into alchol clean off the paste then rinse in to water after drying u look the cpu then try to straight out cpu pins note i have try this to my fx 8150 and its working fine

Jay-Z

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
I would use a cotton bud and just wipe with the alcohol gently. If you were going to soak it, make sure it is pretty pure alcohol to reduce residue and leave to thoroughly dry out before reseating it.

davidgermain

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
I cannot see an issue with liberal use of electronic solvent cleaner - which is mainly Isopropyl alcohol. Just be careful of the pins bending, and don't get it in your eyes and wash off your hands. OH and its very flammable so use common sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol
read the section on uses/solvent.

Water is bad even good quality distilled water is bad, as even tiny impurities in the water cause problems. Yes water is use in the making of IC's but its is extremely pure. and not something you are likely to have handy. The ceramic packages the IC's come in are porous, so any water used may not fully dry by the time you switch it on.
what happens then is the water heats up making stream and can crack the silicon. This is why when reflowing board and placing BGA type chips the IC is gently warm to extract the water content while is been sat on a shelf.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_in-line_package
pg.2 under construction

ram1009

Distinguished
There's no need to submerge the entire CPU in alcohol just to clean the pins. Place the CPU in a shallow plastic bowl type container pins down and pour alcohol in until the pins are covered. Be sure the surface it's sitting on is flat. You may need to place a weight on the CPU to prevent it from floating. Leave it there long enough to dissolve the paste assuming alcohol will do so. It's possible you might need something else like acetone or MEK. I think a quick rinse with distilled water and blow dry with compressed air would suffice to dry it.

InvalidError

Titan

Ceramic? Intel has been using an organic substrate for their chips since the day they switched to flip-chip packaging over 12 years ago. AMD has not used ceramic in a similarly long time either.

Most modern ICs are packaged in plastic or epoxy which are much cheaper and allow much smaller packaging than ceramic.

The slow warm-up in the reflow soldering process plays much more important roles than baking moisture: preventing excessive warping and stresses due to uneven heating and deep pre-heating the whole board and components to reduce the amount of heat that needs to be applied to achieve the full reflow temperature for the 10-30 seconds that it needs to be applied. The moisture bake-off is a convenient side-effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.