Really high CPU temps out of nowhere

Infernisle

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Intel i7 860 CPU
EVGA GTX580 superclocked GPU
Corsair HX1050 PSU
12 gigs of ram
Need any more info, I'll try to find it.

So yesterday everything was fine. Acceptable temps no higher than 40 c idle. All of a sudden my games got very very laggy, and my sound was bugging out. Today I got fed up with it and checked HWMonitor to see that my CPU temps are 99c across the board. On a reboot they start at around 66-68 and then slowly climb over the course of an hour or two to 99.

I got this PC prebuilt from ibuypower a few years ago, and I can't find it anymore to show you. I changed out the PSU, the GPU, and the ram all due to them being generally crap and/or faulty, and that's the extent of my tinkering. I haven't touched the CPU ever at all.

What do I do? And please make it noob-friendly.

Solution

flank21

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
first make sure that the cpu heatink fan actually spins
second clean the dust off/out of the heatsink and fins
third if this is the stock intel heatsink fan, then make sure the push down retaining pins are pushed all the way down and turned to the lock position.

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
i suggest replace the thermal paste and reset the heatsink just apply a small dot in the middle of cpu dont spread it and intall the heatsink then go to bios check the temp of cpu just set all to default mode in bios + u need 70% alchol to clean the cpu old paste remember clean the paste both from heatsink and and cpu too with rubbing alchol and lint free cloth i also suggest use the paint brush to clean offf the dust from cpu fan

Infernisle

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
After a quick jiggle, I do hear water in what I assume is a reservoir (once again, noob) and as far as I can tell the pump is still running. Just to be safe, how would I check that?

EDIT: As an update, I just took it apart as best I could. I got the fan off, and I got the squiggly bit behind it (also still noob) off. The squiggly bit was carpeted with dust, which I cleaned. I followed the hoses to the motherboard to what I assume is the CPU, but I couldn't get that off. I was able to budge one screw but the rest are hopelessly stuck. Turned my PC back on, temps still 60-99.

EDIT 2: Another update. I finally got the hosey bit off and was miraculously able to get it back on afterwards :D The gray paste on both what I assume is the CPU and the back of the domey bit I pulled off was somewhat dry. I'll look into replacing that. After having it off for a second, this recent boot has my temps at between 30 and 45 idle. I'll still look into a fix, but for now it's not being as much of a bastard.

False alarm. Within 10 minutes it's back up to 60 and very slowly climbing.

robnof

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

My brother has a similar computer from ibuypower that he bought about 3 years ago. The liquid cooler isn't the greatest. Check to make sure that its seated properly. You can also take the plate off the processor and clean both cpu and plate. Reapply thermal paste and see if that helps. If not I would consider replacing your cooling solution. Lots of great air and closed loop solutions out there.

Best of luck friend.

Solution

Infernisle

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I've sent out for a cheap new cooling system and some thermal paste to try and figure out the problem. It should be here in a couple of days, and then I'll give you another update.

Infernisle

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I have my new system installed. It's idling around 20-35, and when i'm in games it never breaks 62 same as the old one. Might be better if I could get in there and redo the thermal paste, but you couldn't pay me enough to pull it back off. My case is too cramped for my big hands, and there's lots of precision to be had. I already had to move my GTX 580 down a slot because both it and the cooling system are behemoths.

If something goes wrong, you probably won't see me again. I will probably rage so hard my computer goes into a wall and I go off a tall building, but for now it's over.