New graphics card for acer x1420g

dajegr

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: In the next week or so, would like to have ready when diablo III comes out
BUDGET RANGE would like to stay under 200$ but am flexible

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: want to be able to play dialo III and watch netflix on my 56 inch plasma, but if this isnt possible i have a 32 inch tv i could also hook it up to

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS,CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/acer-aspire-x1420g-ur10p/4507-3118_7-35129223.html?tag=mncol;subnav

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: have used newegg in the past but am wiling to use any reputable dealer

PARTS PREFERENCES: no brand specifics, but dont want garbage either

OVERCLOCKING,SLI OR CROSSFIRE:ive never done any of these and dont know how to so probably not

MONITOR RESOLUTION: unknown, as stated above would like to use to watch movies on 56 inch tv

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS i have read on several sites that upgrading the power supply isnt always neccessary, what would happen if the power supply is not upgraded with the card?

Include a list of any GPUs you are currently considering or would like opinions on.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-102-958&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2

this appears to be a card that would work for me, i have seen in the reviews that several people are using it with smaller power supplies similar to mine, also it is stated to be good for home thearter. Will this work for diablo III?

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
It sounds like that card should work for you. As far as Diablo3..it more than surpasses the minimum graphics card required, but I have no Idea at what quality level it will play the game. If I had to guess.. no higher than medium

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Yeah.. That's a slim version.. Width of less than 4 inches? Damn..

I'm much too tired to see what will fit, but for you other guys, Diablo 3 is not a GPU intensive game, so a 6850 or 6870 will be sufficient.

dajegr

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012

What all is entailed if i were to switch the case? This is something i dont have any experience with, but if it would get rid of the headache of having to look at the dimensions of every card that i see it might be worth it.

dajegr

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
Thanks to everyone for the input so far, i went out and bought the sapphire hd 6670 and decided to wait until i needed to to go for the new tower.
Things are working well with the display so for far as using the tv as a monitor, however when i try to start a game, the screen never actually displays the game. I downloaded and tried playing the diablo 3 beta this weekend and everything appeared to work fine until i hit the play button. Nothing happened. I then tried hitting the play button again and it would state that the diablo 3 beta is already running but i was never actually able to start the game. I was working this weekend and didnt have time to troubleshoot it much and thought it was the game, however i installed my copy of dirt3 that i got with the video card and the same thing is happening. It installs fine, but when i attempt to play the game nothing happens. I attempted a google search for assistance but im not entirely sure how to word it without a long explanation so i found nothing, was hoping someone here could possibly help.

KnitePrince

Honorable
May 7, 2012

I have the same Computer, and have tried this same card in an attempt to play SWTOR on it.. I currently use a 7 year old GT 8600 and it PLAYS the game, but at lowest settings.. i ordered the radeon.. and fought with it for three days.. and I do me FOUGHT for THREE days in an attempt to make it work on my x1420G.. It seemed SO VERY unstable.. Often the screen would reset.. the computer would lock up, and I would have to wait for it to reset again and again.. Starting ANY program had about a 50% chance of causing it to lockup and reset, sometimes several times before it would allow me access to the program.. I mailed AMD Support,, asking them what to do... as i am mostly deaf I cannot call, even if I wanted to.. As of 9 days I returned the card, and have STILL not heard back from tech support.. Sorry.. but I will NEVER buy another card from them.. its not their card that bother me either.. its the support. If you have a little tech help you can fix a lot.. but any company who is as discriminatory as AMD doesnt deserve anyone buisness. If i could use a phone I MAY still have the card and be using it.. but I cant, so im just plain out of luck and they dont care because of the "small" loss I represent...

elijah000

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

i have the same computer. do you have any upgraded psu? the radeon calls for a 400 watt psu and our cpu's only have 220 watts. i have been hearing good things about the visiontek juice box and i think i am going to be purchasing one of those as well as a radeon 6670 video card.