Canon Powershot S2 and A-data Secure Digital card

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 25, 2005 10:50:57 PM

I recently purchased the Canon Powershot S2 IS. The 16Mb Secure Digital card
provided by Canon is so small that I have purchased 2 different 512Mb cards:

1. Pretec 60X card (from Fry's Electronics, locally)
2. A-data 50X card (from Amamax in Houston)

The Pretec card works fine in all modes. Stores full images in a fraction of
a second, allowing for rapid shooting.

The A-data card appears to be completely incompatible with the Canon S2.
Amamax has replaced the card, and I still get the following diagnostics when I
insert it and turn the camera on:

"Memory Card Error" & "Card Locked" (it isn't!!!)

All attempts to use both cards from Amamax have failed. I've notified Canon
Customer Service of the apparent incompatibility.

Has anyone else been able to use A-data SD cards in this Canon camera?

Vendor: http://www.amamax.com (Houston)
Mfgr: http://www.adata.com.tw (Taiwan)

I've written to both vendor and manufacturer.

--John
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 10:50:58 PM

I've had very good luck with PQI SD cards from Fry's for my S2 IS.

Bye.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 11:36:23 PM

"JohnInSD At san DOT rr dot COM" <bitbucket@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:D jcae1dsgu5hk1pvon5j3p94sqfm658g9b@4ax.com...
> I recently purchased the Canon Powershot S2 IS. The 16Mb Secure Digital card
> provided by Canon is so small that I have purchased 2 different 512Mb cards:
>
> 1. Pretec 60X card (from Fry's Electronics, locally)
> 2. A-data 50X card (from Amamax in Houston)
>
> The Pretec card works fine in all modes. Stores full images in a fraction of
> a second, allowing for rapid shooting.
>
> The A-data card appears to be completely incompatible with the Canon S2.
> Amamax has replaced the card, and I still get the following diagnostics when I
> insert it and turn the camera on:
>
> "Memory Card Error" & "Card Locked" (it isn't!!!)
>
> All attempts to use both cards from Amamax have failed. I've notified Canon
> Customer Service of the apparent incompatibility.
>
> Has anyone else been able to use A-data SD cards in this Canon camera?
>

> Vendor: http://www.amamax.com (Houston)
> Mfgr: http://www.adata.com.tw (Taiwan)
>
> I've written to both vendor and manufacturer.

Same problem here with A-Data, and not just with the S2.

Stick with known SD brands.
July 26, 2005 6:32:43 AM

>Same problem here with A-Data, and not just with the S2.

Andy,

Thank you for confirming my suspicions about A-data. What other camera(s)
have you encountered problems with, if I may ask?

--John
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:58:14 PM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:50:57 GMT, JohnInSD At san DOT rr dot
COM <bitbucket@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Has anyone else been able to use A-data SD cards in this Canon camera?

Don't know about your Canon, but A-data doesn't work in my
Ricoh GX, but it does work fine in a Panasonic FZ1 and
Pentax *istDS. It seems a better bet sticking to known
brands, in my case Sandisk and Kingston which have never
caused my any problem in any camera.

--
Regards

John Bean
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 12:08:01 AM

On 25 Jul 2005 13:54:15 -0700, "Crunchy Doodle"
<CrunchyDoodle@gmail.com> wrote:

>I've had very good luck with PQI SD cards from Fry's for my S2 IS.
>
>Bye.

Add Corsair High-Speed 1GB SD to the list of S2 IS-compatible cards.

DIZZLE
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 6:58:43 PM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:50:57 GMT, JohnInSD At san DOT rr dot COM
>Has anyone else been able to use A-data SD cards in this Canon camera?
>

>Vendor: http://www.amamax.com (Houston)
>Mfgr: http://www.adata.com.tw (Taiwan)
>
>I've written to both vendor and manufacturer.

With no response from the manufacturer and the vendor no longer answering my
e-mails, I called my credit card company (Discover) about the situation. They
have now taken over the attempts to get a working card from the vendor; I have
a temporary credit on my account for the purchase price of the A-data card;
and the vendor has 30 days to either issue a full credit, or send me a working
card. Otherwise, the refund will be made permanent, and the amount of the
purchase will be billed back to the vendor.

Kudos to Discover Card!!!

--John
January 24, 2009 4:12:33 PM

I too have a Canon PowerShot S2 IS and in the past has worked flawlessly with SanDisk and KingMax SD cards. It is only after 2 years of use that I am now getting the message "Card Locked!" when it isn't on any card I insert. Either that or "Replace Batteries" when they are very fresh.

I figure the camera had done a lot of work for me and it is time for the electronics to get a good reboot. And how does one do that?

--Mark H.

October 4, 2009 12:14:47 AM

Adata. I have just purchased a Canon Mf200 video and get "write error" problems wit a
Adata 8gig card. Looks like they are not good.

Andrew
Auckland
New zealand
!