Apart from a few hours at the very start, I've used the Classic theme
on this XP PC for years. This morning, to check something, I went to
Display Properties>Themes, in order to select XP Style. But there's no
such option!
http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/Themes1.gif

Where can I find it please? What file am I looking for?

Also, under the Appearance tab, in the Windows & Buttons drop-down,
there is no XP option:
http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/Appearance1.gif

I'm using SP1. In case it has any bearing, I did briefly try SP2
months ago but had lots of problems and uninstalled it quickly.

What can be going on here please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

>Apart from a few hours at the very start, I've used the Classic theme
>on this XP PC for years. This morning, to check something, I went to
>Display Properties>Themes, in order to select XP Style. But there's no
>such option!
>http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/Themes1.gif
>
>Where can I find it please? What file am I looking for?
>
>Also, under the Appearance tab, in the Windows & Buttons drop-down,
>there is no XP option:
>http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Misc/Appearance1.gif
>
>I'm using SP1. In case it has any bearing, I did briefly try SP2
>months ago but had lots of problems and uninstalled it quickly.
>
>What can be going on here please?

OK, sorted thanks. When I tried to add a new theme (which I found in
\Windows\Resources\Themes\), I got an error message about the Themes
service not being switched on. After doing that in Services, I was
able to add the Luna theme (I'd expected it to be called 'XP' BTW?),
and then all was OK.

Having installed it I was able to set up a combination of Theme = My
original (Classic), plus Appearance>Windows & Buttons = XP, and
changing to the silver colour scheme. That's not *too* bad, but it
still looks too 'glitzy' for my taste. And that dreadful enormous
green Start Button! Is there any way to change that back to the one
I'm used to please, while keeping the rest, and not changing menus
etc?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Terry,

Right click Desktop> Properties> Display Properties menu> Appearance tab

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>