Your question

First Build - Power Supply Adequate?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Build
  • Components
Last response: in Components
October 15, 2012 3:11:23 PM

I am getting ready to put together my first computer build, components are on there way. The following is a list of the components I got and I was wondering if someone could tell me if my power supply is adequate or if I should return it for a higher wattage.

PS - Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 (530W)

MB - ASUS P8Z77-V LK
CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO purchased as well)
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X series 8GB (2x4GB)
GC - EVGA GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi)
HD - Western Digital Black WD1002FAEX 1TB
DVD - ASUS DRW-24B1ST

Any information would be very helpful. Thanks.

More about : build power supply adequate

October 15, 2012 3:24:37 PM

From memory the Graphics card is recommended to have 550W (inc. system over heads)
So i would be inclined to go a little more say 650W/750W.
Its all about getting nice stable voltages for your Components. You may get away with your current choice as long as the Voltages/Amps are correct, and i would work on add 15% to your system needs.
I am looking for the current(Amps) needed but not finding quality info.

But on the other side you have a warrenty...
m
l
October 15, 2012 3:38:47 PM

I would advice a better PSU, especially if you plan to do any kind of overclocking in the CPU (wich is quite easy and gets tempting real fast).

The PSU, while it will work correctly, will be prone to damageing your componenets if any power surges or blackouts occur (happned to me twice when i was using a low end PSU, since i have a high end PSU, never happened).

So in general, if you can afford it, i would strongly recommend to get a good PSU.
m
l
Related resources
October 15, 2012 3:45:53 PM

davidgermain said:
From memory the Graphics card is recommended to have 550W (inc. system over heads)
So i would be inclined to go a little more say 650W/750W.
Its all about getting nice stable voltages for your Components. You may get away with your current choice as long as the Voltages/Amps are correct, and i would work on add 15% to your system needs.
I am looking for the current(Amps) needed but not finding quality info.

But on the other side you have a warrenty...

Looking at 700W PSUs right now. Seems like that should do the trick.

Thanks for the help.
m
l
October 15, 2012 3:47:53 PM

cats_Paw said:
I would advice a better PSU, especially if you plan to do any kind of overclocking in the CPU (wich is quite easy and gets tempting real fast).

The PSU, while it will work correctly, will be prone to damageing your componenets if any power surges or blackouts occur (happned to me twice when i was using a low end PSU, since i have a high end PSU, never happened).

So in general, if you can afford it, i would strongly recommend to get a good PSU.

This is good advice, seems to be talking about quality rather than wattage. Interms of wattage, 530w should be ample for you, as long as you're not planning on SLI down the line. Interms of quality, I'd always buy Corsair or Antec. Neither actually manufacture PSUs, but they use the top quality suppliers so you know you're getting a quality part. Seasonic actually do manufacture the PSUs but they tend to be a bit pricey (though for a lower wattage PSU they might be OK).
m
l