Sign in with
Your question

Constant Short Beeps during POST

Last response: in Components
October 15, 2012 3:21:08 PM

Hi Guys,

I have been tinkering around with PCs for many years but have recently run into a problem which I cant seem to resolve - hopefully someone can help me out!

I have a Gigabyte p35ds3l motherboard (Rev 2.0) (Award BIOS)

Everytime I boot up my PC, I hear the normal beep sounds, and the after a second delay, I get constant short beeps.
It sometimes makes it into Windows and other times gets stuck just before (where the Windows loading screen usually comes up.) - all that can be seen onscreen is a flashing cursor.
I initially thought it was a memory problem but have tried process of elimination (leaving just one stick in, etc) but it doesnt make a difference. I have also run memtest in windows which doesnt find any problems?

The strange thing is that I sometimes have this problem - If I move my pc to a new location for example, the PC might boot up normally without any strange beeps but then after a move to a different location, the problem comes back.

Windows also seems to run sluggishly when the problem is present.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
October 15, 2012 3:57:57 PM

Just a long shot - is the clock time being maintained correctly - you aren't losing a few minutes here and there are you ?
m
l
October 15, 2012 4:13:00 PM

hi,

any of these sound right?

m
l
Related resources
October 15, 2012 4:45:07 PM

Might want to try HDTach / CrystalDisk Monitor / etc. to check your HDD's SMART status and run your HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tools to see if HDD stalling might be the cause of random failure to boot and sluggishness.
m
l
October 16, 2012 8:21:47 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Beefy - the temps are fine and as for memory error - I have tried reseating the memory and have also run memtest (in windows) without getting any errors. As for the CPU not being seated properly, I havent tried reseating the CPU yet - I will give it a go this evening.

silverfox56 - the cmos battery seems pretty dodgy and seems to drop the bios settings everytime power is lossed to the pc - could this be the culprit or would it just prevent me from saving my BIOS settings if I loose power?

InvalidError - No my SMART has been disabled in my BIOS and I haven't done any HDD testing. I will enable the SMART tonight and run some diagnostic tools to see if I can pinpoint any issues.

I will post back with my findings.

Thanks so much!
m
l
October 23, 2012 6:52:06 AM

Hi Guys,

Turns out the answer was simpler than I ppreviously thought.

One of the keys on the keyboard was stuck in which was the cause of this problem.

I never knew a stuck in key could prevent your system from booting up!

Once I unstuck the key - the constant short beeps on startup have stopped and the pc boots up without any issues.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions.

m
l
!