Another POST Problem (I've read the sticky)

henrytg

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
I've got a POST problem with by build. I've only got the RAM, CPU, motherboard (with built in graphics) and PSU. Here are details:

CPU: AMD FX-8150
RAM: Komputerbay 16GB kit
Motherboard: ASRock 880GMH/U3S3
PSU: Ace Black 650w

I've read though the POST troubleshooting sticky, and I think I've done everything right. I've checked and done everything listed. The motherboard powers up when I short the two pins (the CPU fan spins), but I get no beep or nothing on the screen. I've got it hooked up to my Toshiba HDTV as I haven't got another screen handy (I do have a smaller Samsung VGA monitor if that would make any difference), but nothing comes on. I've also tried taking out the RAM to see if I could get an image but that hasn't worked either. All the parts are brand new, and I know I have the CPU installed the right way and that as far as I know, I didn't bend any pins.

Any suggestions? I don't think my motherboard has an inbuilt speaker hence why I wouldn't hear a POST beep anyway.

henrytg

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Don't want to bump, but I bought a POST card and it comes up without error 50, which according to the booklet it came with is something to do with Memory. Specifically, testing memory under 1MB. I assumed the motherboard was faulty, as I tested all four RAM sticks in all the slots and still didn't work, so I returned it, only to get the same problem again. It's down to two: the CPU or the RAM. I'm inclined to say the latter is the problem, but I can't believe that all four sticks in one kit could be faulty. It could always be the CPU itself, I'm not sure. HELP!

Sort of related to this, if I do have to return the CPU, what do I do about the thermal paste? I've cleaned off the original stock paste, do you think they'll mind? After all, there's no way to test it without using the heatsink.