I have windows xp with msn 9. My dell laptop will be a year old next
month. I have never had any problems with it before. I keep my
anti-virus and windows all up to date. My problems started a wk ago by
disconnecting and then it got worse by not being able to dialup on the
first number and then it will go to the second number, and by the time i
get connected the connection speed is too low at 21.24. Ok, I called msn
and talked to 5 different techs and we tried everything even closing my
antivirus and it did not help. I did a system restore and did not help.
I also installed spysweeper and found 17spyware and traces 415 and
removed them and I still had the problem. I aslo tried both my phone
lines and every room and still did not help. You name it and I tried it.
Now the tech from Dell tells me to back up my files and uninstall
windows xp and reinstall it and start all over. My laptop does not have
a burner only a dvd. I have a burner on my dell desktop is why I did not
want one on my laptop. Anyway I was up late last night trying to send my
files over to the desktop so I would not lose anything. Is there
anything else I could do? Please excuse this long msg but I wanted you
all to know that I did try everything.
Thanks for any help I can get
Brenda

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:21:55 -0500, MOM_NC@webtv.net (BRENDA KRAUSE)
wrote:

>I have windows xp with msn 9. My dell laptop will be a year old next
>month. I have never had any problems with it before. I keep my
>anti-virus and windows all up to date. My problems started a wk ago by
>disconnecting and then it got worse by not being able to dialup on the
>first number and then it will go to the second number, and by the time i
>get connected the connection speed is too low at 21.24. Ok, I called msn
>and talked to 5 different techs and we tried everything even closing my
>antivirus and it did not help. I did a system restore and did not help.
>I also installed spysweeper and found 17spyware and traces 415 and
>removed them and I still had the problem. I aslo tried both my phone
>lines and every room and still did not help. You name it and I tried it.
>Now the tech from Dell tells me to back up my files and uninstall
>windows xp and reinstall it and start all over. My laptop does not have
>a burner only a dvd. I have a burner on my dell desktop is why I did not
>want one on my laptop. Anyway I was up late last night trying to send my
>files over to the desktop so I would not lose anything. Is there
>anything else I could do? Please excuse this long msg but I wanted you
>all to know that I did try everything.
>Thanks for any help I can get
>Brenda

Have you ever thought of adding a second HD or partition on your
existing HD and creating a folder in that partiton or hard drive, and
naming it "Backups", then backed up your files to that folder? It
shouldn't be lost when you format the partition you have your OS
installed on.

By the way, have you ever thought of organizing your thoughts using
short, concise paragraphs?

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
and keep the conversation in order.