Motherboard or CPU dead? SOLVED

jvanph

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Hi, I am trying to determine whether my motherboard or CPU is dead. Yesterday, I finally put together my build, but I am missing a video card at the moment. I figured I could test the build by using the HDMI port in the motherboard to see if it would post. What I have seen so far is that the motherboard's phase LEDs turn on but not the fans connected to it. I believe the motherboard is dead, since I have turned it on without a CPU and it did the same thing. Along with the fans not powering on, I see a glimpse of what seems like the post screen for a few seconds. The post screen is a warped image that only appears on one side of the monitor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155
Kingston HyperX Grey Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
GeForce GTX 680 (Currently not in the build)
Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz

Solution
is it the ram? try powering the system with 1 stick. if it is not the ram, it is probably the board or the chip. do you happen to have another board to test out the i7?

jvanph

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012

I have swapped out different RAM brands, and I get the same results. I just sent the motherboard in for a RMA. Hopefully, the motherboard is the problem. I will update once I get the motherboard back.
Thanks