Applying thermal paste without injection

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
:D hi i h an thermal paste in container dont have any injection so question how i apply it to the cpu should i use a plastic to cover my finger and put into center of the cpu is this method is useful :D or not

Huh what kind of thermal paste is it? Is it in a syringe, container or little plastic packet?

I would take a popsicle stick or somthing you can use to scoop up a very small dot of thermal paste and plop it onto the CPU. Then lock down the heatsink and turn on the computer. Let the heat from the CPU and the pressure from the clamped heatsink naturally spread the thermal paste. What kind of thermal paste is this? I hope it's not that white runny junk that looks like elmers glue.

I would take something like a popsicle stick and put some on the CPU and then spread it either with a finger (in a plastic bag) or a very flat plastic tool. You want it to be very thin otherwise it will ooze out of the heatsink when you apply it.

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

can i use my philips screw driver an to take thermal and place in the center of the cpu

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
best thing to use to spread it is a credit card or business card something wide thin and flat. put a drop the size of a pea on the center of the cpu and spread it out covering the entire cpu in a paper thin layer. The put on your HSF and power on. That's how I've done it for years and never ever fails. With that said more and more coolers that you buy with a boxed cpu already have the thermal paste on the bottom of the cooler so all you have to do is take thin film off the bottom and plop it onto the cpu and lock it down and as another poster stated the weight of the heatsink and the contact between it and the cpu will naturally allow the paste to spread out.

InvalidError

Titan

That depends on how it is done. For HSFs like the 212+ which has gaps between the plate and pipes, spreading paste on the HSF to fill the gaps first is probably better than most other methods.

The 'pea' method can trap air bubbles too if the high-viscosity paste flows over holes faster than it can seep into them while the HSF is being clamped/screwed on.

Just about any method works when done properly.

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

so u mean those guys who have flat heatsink use the pea size and those who have gaps in between pipes use spread method just trying to figure out

I like using a pea size dot in the center of the CPU then use the heatsink clamping to evenly spread the thermal paste. So far I have had no problems with this method. I don't like using the spread method because it can increase the chance of air bubbles forming causing worse temperature's.

I guess but it will probably be hard to scoop up the right amount. Something thin and flat like a popsicle stick or flat head screw driver would be easier to scoop up a small dab of thermal paste.

ram1009

Distinguished
All that about bubbles is pure BS. Spread it out thin and even and cover the entire heat spreader. If you put a drop in the center and then install the HS without spreading the paste it will spread in a circle across a square heat spreader. The corners won't have any paste and won't conduct heat efficiently.

No it's not, actually. There have been many tests done that show that. Spreading causes the most air bubbles, by far.

And the corners and edges don't need as much coverage as the center anyway. The center is where it matters the most, and that's what the dot in the center does extremely well. Hell, if you do it right, the paste will spread evenly across the entire IHS, regardless.

If it's a cooler like the 212+ (grooves between the pipes and the base), you should "tint" the base with a tiny amount of paste to fill in the grooves and the put a small pea sized dot in the center of the CPU IHS.

If it's a cooler like the 212 Evo (or any other cooler that doesn't have grooves between the pipes and base), you just use the dot in the center method and you're golden.

Been doing that for years, and it's always given me the best results.

As mentioned there have been many test done and it has been shown that of all the methods spreading the thermal paste causes the most amount of bubbles. Letting the heatsink spread the thermal paste causes the least amount of bubbles or problems. Also the whole spreading in a circle across a square heat IHS is a load of crap. The edges don't get as hot as the center and don't need thermal paste. The most important thing is that the center core. The mass of heat is coming from the center of the IHS and that's the most iportant part draw heat away from. The edges and corners will be just fine without thermal paste as long as the heatsink is on right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms-q4

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
hmm it seem to be more complicated but i have done with my srew driver i take the less amount of paste and put in center of the cpu without spreading as u say it cause air bubbles and after installing the stock heatsink my current temp of fx 8150 is with stock cooler is 30 c idle which is great one but i m not sure about my thermal paste its not well known in market just artic silver etc but it works my question would this thermal paste is good for my fx 8150 http://www.focalprice.com/CX0152W/HC131_Good_Thermal_Conductivity_Thermal_Grease_White.html?SSAID=389818#.UH0ojGdqfcd

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
I just dealt with this very thing last night. I have a very small plastic container of the white goop.
I used a butter knife and the spread method.
I spread a very thin layer on the headsink, not the cpu.
I used smaller amounts and a light touch, in a half circle motion, spreading a thin layer towards the edge. (stock Intel heatsink/fan, which is round surface area, not square like the cpu)

InvalidError

Titan

However, bubbles are not the main reason why thermal paste is used. Flatness is.

If you try mating two ever-so-lightly imperfect surfaces either due to manufacturing defect/design or thermal expansion, they will make physical contact in only three places. So even "perfectly flat" surfaces need paste. Part of the reason heatsinks require so much clamping force is to make mating faces press into each other so the physical contact area is larger than the pin-point areas needed to settle the HSF.

While bubbles are not ideal, contact areas that are far enough apart to allow bubbles to continue to exist as excess paste flows out are already far enough apart to have significantly reduced heat transfer potential.

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

:hello: i have stock cooler of fx 8150 but when i see the base of heatsink of copper it have some rainbow type design on it do u what is this is this impurities on copper or heatsink probably damaged my idle temp has 40 and load temp while playing borderlands 2 is 70 is this too high :hello:

Those are a bit high, but I doubt the "rainbow type design" has much to do with it, though, or that it's because of "impurities".

It might be worth re-doing the thermal paste to see if that helps.

monu_08

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

i have notice some times when i use dot method this type of raindow things happen to my heatsink but ithink is there any way to clean the heatsink properly :( :( :(