PCI-E PSU cable... How do I get around this problem? Can I?

right so...

I have one of these, Corsair HX520W which is a semi-modular PSU

Connections look like this :



I have one of these, Asus 6950

Requires 1 x 8pin and 1 x 6pin power cables to run.

I bought two new PSU cables, 1 x 8pin and 1 x 6pin. Obviously the 6pin one fits fine, and the one end of the 8pin fits into the gfx card fine... but the other end... :o

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_804_887_944&products_id=29972

any idea how on earth I can get this 8pin into that 6pin socket?

I had a look on the site, and I dont see such a thing as a 6pin to 8pin cable. So I need an adaptor or something?
8 answers Last reply
More about cable problem
  1. techead said:
    right so...

    I have one of these, Corsair HX520W which is a semi-modular PSU

    Connections look like this :

    http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/corsair_psu/outputs.jpg

    I have one of these, Asus 6950

    Requires 1 x 8pin and 1 x 6pin power cables to run.

    I bought two new PSU cables, 1 x 8pin and 1 x 6pin. Obviously the 6pin one fits fine, and the one end of the 8pin fits into the gfx card fine... but the other end... :o

    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_804_887_944&products_id=29972

    any idea how on earth I can get this 8pin into that 6pin socket?

    I had a look on the site, and I dont see such a thing as a 6pin to 8pin cable. So I need an adaptor or something?

    What you have linked to is an extension cable, can't plug it into the the psu.
    Contact Corsair, I find the phone works best, tell them you need an 8 pin pcie cable for your 520HX, they'll send you one, more than likely for free.
  2. Yea, and next time, get a better watt power supply. They come with more cables. Also do not, i repeat do not attempt crossfire on this PSU.... especially with your current graphics card. Extensions are for making your cables look better in your case, but they are what they are, ( Connecting female to male connectors ) still giving the same amount of power
  3. delluser1 said:
    What you have linked to is an extension cable, can't plug it into the the psu.
    Contact Corsair, I find the phone works best, tell them you need an 8 pin pcie cable for your 520HX, they'll send you one, more than likely for free.


    ah ok thanks man. So I think I will just keep the usual black cables that go into the PSU and plug in the extension cables, will that be ok?
  4. techead said:
    ah ok thanks man. So I think I will just keep the usual black cables that go into the PSU and plug in the extension cables, will that be ok?

    You won't be connecting the extra grounds doing it that way, I don't know how your card will react, but try it.
    I assumed :ouch: that you didn't have the original cable.
  5. Rockdpm said:
    Yea, and next time, get a better watt power supply. They come with more cables. Also do not, i repeat do not attempt crossfire on this PSU.... especially with your current graphics card. Extensions are for making your cables look better in your case, but they are what they are, ( Connecting female to male connectors ) still giving the same amount of power


    I didnt ask if my PSU was big enough. Thanks for the info though
  6. techead said:
    I didnt ask if my PSU was big enough. Thanks for the info though

    I was making a simple suggested statement. There is no need to get a attitude. I understand your a person in need of help and were here to help. But were not here to be talked down to.
  7. Rockdpm said:
    But were not here to be talked down to.

    I agree, but it works both ways

    Rockdpm said:
    Yea, and next time, get a better watt power supply. They come with more cables.


    The first revision of the 520HX only came with 6 pin cable's
    Revision 2 added 6+2 pcie cable's
    The OP wants to add a new graphics card to an existing psu that has plenty of watts ( and amps ) without the right connector's
  8. techead said:
    right so...

    I have one of these, Corsair HX520W which is a semi-modular PSU

    Connections look like this :

    http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/images/corsair_psu/outputs.jpg

    I have one of these, Asus 6950

    Requires 1 x 8pin and 1 x 6pin power cables to run.

    I bought two new PSU cables, 1 x 8pin and 1 x 6pin. Obviously the 6pin one fits fine, and the one end of the 8pin fits into the gfx card fine... but the other end... :o

    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_804_887_944&products_id=29972

    any idea how on earth I can get this 8pin into that 6pin socket?

    I had a look on the site, and I dont see such a thing as a 6pin to 8pin cable. So I need an adaptor or something?



    Is this what you need?

    http://ca.startech.com/Cables/Computer-Power/Internal/PCI-Express-6-pin-to-8-pin-Power-adapter-Cable~PCIEX68ADAP
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Cable PCI Express Graphics