Tormented

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
which of the cards is better I heard that MX300 does not have support for windows2000 because Aureal has died, but it has better sound the Live have some cranks and stuff
which to buy?

<b>-----------------------</b>
-<font color=red><b>R.K.</b></font color=red>

G

depends what your primary usage of the card will be: Games or other (such as music edition, sampling)

If no one knew this allready, the EMU* chip on ther SB Live! cards (5.1 versions as well) have hidden support for ASIO based drivers, whcih is not openly supoorted by creative.vThis means that the card is worth more than the price u pay for it. ASIO based drivers ahve a faster latency time with he hardware itself for increased performance. I havene't much knwledge of the MX3, but I persoanlly use the MP3 versioin of SB Live! in conjuction with generic ASIO drivers for use with my Music Studio ( I use CUBASE and REASON ont he computer with MIDI) For games however, u need to use the drivers that come with the hardware for technologies like EAX, wich also reduces sound quality a tad bit from the ASIO drivers, wheras ASIO drivers don't suppoort EAX. This isn't here really to make you decide what to buy, I'm merely trying to point out so imformation you may not know, for biased opinions tend to obscure the facts in question.

Excuse the typos. I'm rushed.

True Ascension is the realizations and undertsanding of one's self

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Don't get the MX300 if you have an AMD/VIA combo because I heard it has compatability problems.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

G

with sound blaster Live ! Value what settings are better? EAX or Suround Sound? or Direct 3D? if using it for games? (with 4.1 surround sound speakers)

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
EAX sounds the best in games, with that card, and the 4.1 speakers. There are some games that come in an EAX version, like Unreal Tournament.

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Don't buy Creative either. They put Aureal out of business with legal fees from frivolous lawsuites, then bought the technology and sealed it so no one who produced the cards can develope new drivers. Such a dishonest company should never be supported. There are better sound systems, such as the Hercules Game Theater and the Philips Accoustic Edge. And there are cheaper solutions that produce equal sound quality, such as the ESS Canyon 3D chip soundcards available from several manufacturers.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

Tormented

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well as I don't care what Creative did (as I didn't care nVidia did to 3dfx and i own Voodoo2) I jsut want a good card to listen MP3 on and be good in games.

<b>-----------------------</b>
-<font color=red><b>R.K.</b></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
nVdia put 3DFX out by producing a better product. Creative put Aureal out with frivolous lawsuites. Total difference. I own one of each, and the Vortex2 wins hands down for sound quality.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine