How Does My Frankenstein Dell Rate For Gaming?

mordecaix7

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I haven't had a gaming pc in a long time; last one I built was in 2004. When my boss was throwing a pc out, he asked me if I wanted it. Sure, free pc right? It's a Dell Optiplex 745 (what it says on the case) but the networking crew at my job tend to swap out parts and stuff so I knew I couldn't trust Dell's specs for what the PC contained. Using CPU-Z, I was able to identify what the PC contains.

(remembering these from memory at lunch break)
Core 2 Duo 3.4 GHZ Processor
2 GB ram (4x512mb sticks)
PCI Express X16 slot (no graphics card)
80 GB harddrive (SATA, not SSD)
300 watt power supply.
Windows XP

Even that was somewhat of an upgrade from my previous 2004 pc. I decided to at least stick a decent graphics card in it with some extra money I was able to save up. Picked up a XFX Radeon HD 6570 1GB and a 460 Watt power supply. Plus I had an extra 250GB hdd from my 2004 pc so I added that in as an extra harddrive as well. So the specs now read:

Core 2 Duo 3.4 GHZ Processor
2 GB ram (4x512mb sticks)
PCI Express X16 slot (XFX Radeon HD 6570 1GB)
C: Drive - 80 GB harddrive (SATA)
D: Drive - 250 GB harddrive (SATA)
460 watt power supply.

I tried the demo for Warhammer 40k: Space Marine on steam and it ran superbly smooth on high settings at a resolution of 1360x768, so it seems like it does pretty well.

With all that being said, how does this system stack up? I'm sure this is considered more on the low-end of systems but Space Marine running as well as it did surprised me.

Well, Space Marine has fairly low requirements, that computer would handle light MMOs pretty well, such as space marine, runescape, wow, lol, etc.. But no its not going to do too well with modern games such as Battlefield 3, Metro 2033, skyrim, etc. I suspect you already know that, but heres some benches on the video card:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4278/amds-radeon-hd-6670-radeon-hd-6570/4

I have a Dell XPS M1530 laptop, its a few years old with a Core2Duo CPU, even being a few years old, its definitely pretty respectable for a laptop, but its definitely old and no longer top of the line.

mordecaix7

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Well, it could be worse. According to FinneousPJ's scale, my older pc doesn't even chart. At least this thing will play something for a little while. I only have to use this machine or another 8 months or so before I have budget to build a good pc.