Sign in with
Your question

How can I plug my computer into the same phone line

Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
June 22, 2011 11:06:10 AM

Hello,
I just moved offices to one where there is only one phone line - its an ethernet socket. I use the room two days a week, the other guy uses it on the other days. his computer is already plugged into it, how would I be able to switch wires when I'm in there - the yellow cable I have is too short to reach. What would I need to buy and is there something that I can put in the socket to connect both wires so I don't have to keep getting on my knees
June 22, 2011 3:10:24 PM

Hello bobg5!

I would check with your network administrators and your policies before adding/changing anything within your office pertaining to the network. However if approved there are a few options you could do.

http://www.buy.com/prod/rj45-cat-5-6-lan-ethernet-split...

This will split the connection adding an extra port for you to plug in as well as your adjoining LAN partner. This is probably the cheapest solution, or you could look into getting a small switch (if approved) in case you need more than 2 ports.
June 22, 2011 3:42:59 PM

Xhairs that slitter you recommended cannot be used for computer networking only for phones because it could shorten out the NICs of the two computers connected if both are power on at the same time. I tried that ONCE.

bobg5 to connect both computers you will need to use a small switch and two additional network cables which will cost you about $30
Related resources
June 22, 2011 7:36:53 PM

Emerald said:
Xhairs that slitter you recommended cannot be used for computer networking only for phones because it could shorten out the NICs of the two computers connected if both are power on at the same time. I tried that ONCE.

bobg5 to connect both computers you will need to use a small switch and two additional network cables which will cost you about $30

Agreed that they wont be able to use it at the same time...however he stated that he uses the room two days a week and the second guy uses the room on the other days. Therefor neither would be there on the same day so no need to worry.
June 22, 2011 8:20:23 PM

not everybody turns off their computer.
!