What computer brand is better LENOVO or HP?

slurp123

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
planning to purchase a new tower. i like both brands. want to spend around $600.home use with teenagers. need 6-8 ram and a 1-tb drive.please help!

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
They all use the same components... it really comes down to support offered when purchasing a brand of computer system builder.

Dells alright. Don't know about Lenovo.

HP/Compaq have always been my favorite in terms of support.

Hello slurp123;

It depends a LOT on which models you're talking about.
There are low, middle and high range models in each line.
When you get right down to it - any $600 system is going the same.

What are those teenages going to do with the new system.
You just need the tower, right? Not a monitor, keyboard, mouse or speakers?

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Desktop/4672416.p?id=1218525518716&skuId=4672416

Take a look here ^ $529.00

his HP Pavilion p7-1254 desktop features built-in wireless networking for connection to the Internet without wires. The spacious 1TB hard drive offers plenty of space for special media, important documents and more.

Windows 7 Home Premium preloaded
Which Windows 7 edition is best for you? Compare.
Learn more about VISION Technology from AMD.

VISION A6 Technology by AMD logo
What's Included

HP Pavilion Desktop
HP USB keyboard, optical mouse
Owner's manual

Product Features

VISION Technology by AMD
Makes your digital photos and Web sites look amazing and gives a boost to digital music playback.
AMD Quad-Core A6-3620 Accelerated Processor with AMD Radeon HD 6530D graphics
For fast, efficient computing.
8GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM
For multitasking power.
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.
4MB L2 cache memory
For efficient system processing.
1TB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.
AMD Radeon HD 6530D graphics
Feature up to 4089MB total available video memory for lush images with vivid detail.
Multidisplay capable
Allows you to connect a second monitor for additional work space (monitors not included).
15-in-1 media reader
Supports SmartMedia, xD-Picture Card, Secure Digital, miniSD, CompactFlash I/II, Microdrive, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo formats.
Also supports MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard Plus, MultiMediaCard mobile and Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard formats.
6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
For fast digital data transfer and easy peripheral connectivity.
Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
Connect to the Internet without wires.
Bluetooth interface
Easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.
Built-in 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet networking interface
For quick and easy wired Web connection.
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.
Software package included
With Microsoft Office Starter 2010 (product key card required for activation; sold separately).
AMD, AMD Arrow logo, AMD Athlon, QuantiSpeed, AMD PowerNow! and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

@ BestBuy

The HP Pavilion h8-1114 @ $529 is a good value - with a catch.
Core i5-2400 quad core 3.1Ghz CPU, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD and dedicated Geforce GT 520 graphics card.
That catch is - it's refurbished and only has a 90 day warranty from BestBuy.

Also the Dell XPS X8300 @ $570 and Lenovo IdeaCentre @ $530 are worth looking at.
And the Pavilion p7-1254 Area51 already mentioned.

tlmck

Distinguished
I like Lenovo myself. They just seem to be a bit sturdier than the rest in all but the high end where they are at least equal.

edit: stupid thing keeps posting before I am finished typing. Linux mousepad driver deficiency.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
For what it's worth, the vast majority of computers that come in to my shop for repair are HP desktops. Lots of bad motherboards (blown caps) We don't see many Lenovo's, but then again they are not as popular.

adamdbz

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Do not buy a premade desktop
Build you’re on computer (buy the parts and put them together)
It will be cheaper and better
And it will be harder to upgrade the computer if it is a prebuild one.

jeets0107

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
@ Totalknowledge, guess u r talking something 5 years old story. HP services has been really bad, infact worst and specially to Home segment customer. They only want to focus on large customer.
I recommend to go for Lenovo, as they seems to be the most innovative brand among top IT companies.

Latest posts