A Build for AE and C4D

wil_LS

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Hi all. I made a build for use with work, just wanted to see if this is good. I always get google and read on this form whenever I build a rig, but this is my 1st time asking. (I usually just search by parts and research. I did this already, but seeing as this is a costly rig, I wanted to be absolutely sure.)

Mainly for After Effects and Premier. Also some Cinema 4D, but no super detailed rendering.

CPU: i7 960 3.2Ghz
Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
MB: ASUS Sabertooth X58
RAM: 6x4GB Corsair Vengeance
GPU: EVGA GTX580 x2 SLI
Case: Coolermaster Storm Trooper EATX full tower
PSU: Silverstone Strider ST1200 1200W
HDD: 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MN Cache
SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 Extendd Sandforce 60GB SATA2
DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST
BD: ASUS VC-12B1ST

Is this a good rig for what it will be used for?
Should I get a workstation card instead of 580 SLI?
This is nearly $3000 CAD.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Solution
Don't buy this computer. It's old.

Basically get a an i7 Ivy Bridge Chip (i7-3770) and a matching motherboard. Get at least 16gb of RAM (24GB if you can afford it). Get an Nvidia GPU (Maybe the 670) to take advantage of the Mercury Playback engine which has a lot of CUDA features. Get a SSD for the operating system and maybe another SSD on which to put the files you're currently working on. Get a few 2tb drive (I recommend WD Black).

Kind of depends on specifically what features you use on Premiere and what kind of file sizes you work with.

You bought into a platform that's 4 years old. Bad choice. Your GPUs are last gen as well, as it the SSD... :( You should have asked before buying.

EDIT: ok now I'm not sure if you already have it or not, but if you don't, do not buy this for 3k!

wil_LS

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I haven't done it yet. This is why I am coming here to ask. Thank you for stopping me from making a 3000 dollar mistake.

What GPU and SSD do you suggest to bring it up to modern specs?

I was considering 680 but there is no stock. Upon further research it seems there is a distribution problem. More research suggested there might be some issue with the architecture, though just a rumor. That lead me to instead went for SLI 580.

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Don't buy this computer. It's old.

Basically get a an i7 Ivy Bridge Chip (i7-3770) and a matching motherboard. Get at least 16gb of RAM (24GB if you can afford it). Get an Nvidia GPU (Maybe the 670) to take advantage of the Mercury Playback engine which has a lot of CUDA features. Get a SSD for the operating system and maybe another SSD on which to put the files you're currently working on. Get a few 2tb drive (I recommend WD Black).

Kind of depends on specifically what features you use on Premiere and what kind of file sizes you work with.

Solution