Easiest way to migrate from AMD to Intel

ryan5609

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I plan on upgrading from an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T to an Intel Core i7 3770 (Windows 7 Pro. 64bit) and I was wondering what the best process would be including prep, backup, etc.

This is what I was thinking about doing.

1. Backup all important documents, etc. Duh

2. Install the new Mobo and CPU

3. Boot from recovery disc, choose option to upgrade Windows 7 (non-destructive install)

4. Update drivers, etc.

Do you think that I would be required to do a full HDD reformat before installing Windows 7?

Never switched chipsets within the same build before. If anyone knows of any good guides regarding my install please share. Thanks

Solution
One does not simply migrate platforms.....

1. Backup ALL data or use a new HDD for the install and keep the old one to recover data from later.

2. Definitely do a clean, fresh install on an empty partition - doing an upgrade / reinstall will cause you no end of pain in terms of slow-downs, instability and unpredictable system behaviour.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
One does not simply migrate platforms.....

1. Backup ALL data or use a new HDD for the install and keep the old one to recover data from later.

2. Definitely do a clean, fresh install on an empty partition - doing an upgrade / reinstall will cause you no end of pain in terms of slow-downs, instability and unpredictable system behaviour.

Solution

ryan5609

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I have a 1TB HDD that runs my main OS and that I keep most of my stuff on. I also have another 1TB HDD that I use pretty much exclusively for backup purposes. Do you think it would be best to basically swap primary HDD's? Basically format my backup HDD and use that for my clean install and simply use the current one to pull backups from? Sounds about as painless as I can do it. Hmmmmmm...perhaps this is also a good time to invest in an SSD??? I guess I might as well, since I am going to have to do a clean install anyway.

twelve25

Distinguished
THe AMD/INtel part has nothing to do with it. Swapping out a motherboard means so many driver changes that an in place switch will be a nightmare. Use this as an opportunity to get a clean install and start over. It's a pain for the first couple weeks while you reinstall all your apps, but a clean install is half of the "fast" feeling of a new computer build!