Non stop beeps for 10ish seconds then shut down on new build

othevad

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Hello,

So I just build a new computer and salvaged a couple of parts from my old build.
I just plugged everything in, tried to fire it up. It beeped about 35 to 40 times, stayed on for about 10 seconds and then reset. I have not installed anything on it yet (although my old hds are still in there)
Nothing shows on the monitor. Fans and everything come on.
I'm pretty new to this, have 1 successful build under my belt and think everything is alright... but obviously not.
Any ideas?

Here's a hardware list.

gigabyte Z77-D3H mobo
intel i5 2.3 ghz quad core
hive 80+ bronze power supply
8 gigs of samsung ddr3
intel 120g ssd
some other 1.5 tb hd, think its a seagate. il check but i doubt thats the issue.

onboard sound and video atm, although i have other components waiting to go in... but obviously not yet.

digitalzed

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I'm having this same issue. Did you ever figure out what it was?

If you have an issue, please dont resurrect 3-month old threads. Just make a new one and we will (probably) help you.

Check your motherboard manual to find out what the beeps mean. Also your board may have some kind of LED debug system on it, use that as well.

I also am assuming that the your machine wont POST (get to the motherboard splash screen)? Then I advise you follow this guide, it will find or solve most of the common problems.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

digitalzed

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
manofchalk, thank you. This post came up in a Google search and thought asking if it had been resolved was the best route rather than asking a new question.

My motherboard's manual, the Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H, has no section for what the beeps mean. I can't get to the BIOS and the screen doesn't come on at all (it is on). I've looked at the article here in the site that you referenced and I think I'll go back tomorrow and start from scratch. I know the memory is installed correctly, the CPU and power to the CPU. I don't believe there are any loose screws causing a short but want to look again, which I will do tomorrow. Hopefully in the light of day I'll narrow it down and get it resolved. Thanks for pointing me to the article.

digitalzed

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Hi, I think I found the problem. I'd like to post a picture but I don't know how to do it on this forum. I see where I can attach a link to the photo, but where does the photo have to be in order for the link to work?

digitalzed

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

I need help but I'm not hapless. Taking your advice I went through and double checked everything this morning, going through the whole installation process again. In the picture I've removed the CPU (Intel i5 3570K 3.40) to show what I believe is the socket damage. The rest of the system is comprised of:

1. 1 TB WD Blue Sata drive
2. 16 GB Patriot DDR3 1600 memory
3. Ev3A GTX 560 1 GGB DDR video card
4. Coolmax 600 watt PS

I was hoping you or someone might be able to confirm the socket on the motherboard is damaged.

Sorry about that, didn't see the heading on the image.

Without actually looking at it personally I cant say whether a pin is bent or not, but from the image provided it does look like one is bent. If the board is still in warranty, see if you can get a replacement. If it isn't, you may have to dive in there with a pair of tweezers. This may be useful, though it applies more to AMD systems that have the pin on the CPU instead of the mobo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDccsbv5hA&feature=plcp

digitalzed

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks. I think that's it. I sure thought I was careful, but...

I did arrange to get the MB replaced and should be at it again next weekend. Thanks for answering, manofchalk. I do appreciate it.