Temps for AMD 64 3500+ w/stock HSF

MontyBurns

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Hi all -

I have an AMD 64 3500+ (Venice) running on an ASUS A8N-SLI mobo in a CoolerMaster Cavalier case.

ASUS PC Probe II reports CPU temp of 38-39 at idle (2.2ghz) and rises to 45-47 when encoding, gaming, etc...

Might it be worth it to investigate a replacement for the stock HSF and cooler? I've looked at the ThermalTake Silent 939 K8.

Thoughts? Stay with the stock or find something cooler (and a bit quieter)?

TIA

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure those temps are perfectly fine for your CPU. Mine is a 4400+ X2 and it reaches up to 50 degrees with no crashes or instability...

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I have the same cpu as you and an aftermarket cooler, cant remember the make but it has heat pipes. My temps at idle are between 37-39C and at after running prime95 for 2 days straight its at about 46-47C. I dont think you have anything to worry about but cooler is better.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and those temps are with the cpu overclocked 10% to 2.42 Ghz.

MontyBurns

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
My numbers are for no O/C'ing. I should have also mentioned that I have QFAN turned off in the BIOS. When it was running, the idle temps were 45-48 and pushed to 51-55 when running hard. The CPU fan ran at about 1800rpm vs. 3100 now.

I may consider overclocking. I also have my tower on the desk and I would like to get a bit less noise and more effective cooling if I decide to overclock.

Anyone have thoughts on the ThermalTake 939 K8 Cooler or similar fans/heatsinks?

RichPLS

Champion
My Opteron 175 overclocked 20% at 1.4 volts only raises the cpu temp around 2C from stock.
I get around 39C to 41C stock and around 43C max overclocked 20%.
Ofcourse, I have water cooling, the TT BigWaterSE.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
oh just remember this for easy way to remember temparature guides on amd's. start with the 3000 average temps are 30c idle 40c load for every 200 megahertz increase in speed add 5-10c on idle and load now with the procs with 1 meg of cache add 3-5c more like the 3700 and 4000 this is only for single cores

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
now for dual cores start with the opty 165 same rule up to the 180 but for x2s it's a whole different story manchester is 89 watts aka x2 3800 4200 but the manchester 4600 takes 110 like the toledo 4400,4800, and the fx-60 so temps are bound to be higher sorry havent figured out a way to measeure it yet but im workin on it.

BK

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
out of curiosity have you checked your temps in the bios? I am running a 3500+ also, on an ASUS A8V- E board and notice that the temps in the bios hardware monitor are approximately 10 degrees cooler than what PCProbe 11 reports at idle. In all older versions of PCProbe that I have seen on several ASUS boards (both AMD and Intel Procs) the variation between the bios reading and idle on startup has usually been minimal.

BTW my reported temps in PCProbe11 are similar to yours with a room temp of 32C and I am sure are not a cause for concern, at the moment the ambient average daily temp in my location is around 33 - 34 degrees with a couple of days at 42C.

I am also running a 3.2Ghz 478 socket Prescott on an ASUS board with the older version of PCProbe, it is indicating approx 40 - 41 on the MB and 42 on the processor with virtually the same reading in the bios and the probe at idle with a room temp of 32C.

Both systems run stock HSF and normal clock speeds but have major modifications in cooling & fans setup with the AMD (heaviest loading) running 5 case fans and 1 slot fan and the Intel has 4 case fans and modified fan forced chassis air duct to processor. For less noise try turning on your Qfan in the bios, set the fan duty cycle to 13/16 and set the cpu target temp to 45C with an ambient temp around 28 - 30C your cpu fan should run about 2,700 but will increase as soon as the cpu nears 45C, you can adjust the fan duty cycle and target temp to your preference but Qfan seems to co-exist very well with Cool and Quiet

Bob

"Might it be worth it to investigate a replacement for the stock HSF and cooler?"

Those temps are quite reasonable, really...mine were roughly the same when ambients were about 70 F....

My 3500+, when OC'd to 2.5G, raised it's idle and under load temps to about 43C and 52C, and as the processor will usually run out of OC steam long before it begins to overheat, expensive sink/fan combos usually don't gain you much except at most a 8C lower cpu temp...

(Temps easily vary 5-10C with one chipset and onec cpu to another, so the temps are realy just guidlines, and cpu temps under 55C under load are little to be concerned about if the system is stable...

sik1977

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2005
I have a 3700+ Sandiego. It varies between 32C to 45C. Your upper temps are just fine. I think you are not using Cool'n'Quiet and thus your clock speed doesn't go down in Idle from 2.2Ghz to 1Ghz. Check your BIOS settings and choose the right Power Scheme under windows (e.g., portable/laptop). the above temps are recorded today with ambient temps of 24C.

MontyBurns

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
I don't have Cool 'n Quiet running. Even after following all of the directions from AMD and ASUS about enabling it, I never got it to work. No big deal...

Temps aren't really my concern - I guess I'm really looking for a little more quiet since this tower is on my desktop. I'm looking at replacing the stock 120mm case fan first, then a more quiet HSF for that.

Unfortunately, I'm still stuck with that noisy-a*s chipset fan on this mobo :(

BobA

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
I have the venice 3500+ and stock heatsink and fan (Processer in a box)
on a Chaintech VFN4 board, in an Antec mid-tower 1050B. The 6600 nvidia (Chaintech) card has a fan, the chipset has a fan, the Smartpower 500 w PSU has two, of which only one ever comes on, and there is the stock 120 mm rear case fan set to low, but no other fans. No overclocking of anything.

My temps (as reported by NVmonitor) and confirmed in the BIOS are, at idle, room temperature for the cpu and 30-31 for the chipset. The highest
I've ever seen the CPU temp go is 33C.

But I built this rig with the specific goal of cool and quiet. (Not the AMD 'cool and quiet', I don't use it).

Picking a mid-tower case and using thin SATA cables was the key in providing a cool environment for the motherboard to work in.

-Bob

sik1977

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2005
I don't have Cool 'n Quiet running. Even after following all of the directions from AMD and ASUS about enabling it, I never got it to work. No big deal...

Temps aren't really my concern - I guess I'm really looking for a little more quiet since this tower is on my desktop. I'm looking at replacing the stock 120mm case fan first, then a more quiet HSF for that.

Unfortunately, I'm still stuck with that noisy-a*s chipset fan on this mobo :(

Initially I also had trouble activating cool'n'quiet on my Mobo. I discovered later that it was a BIOS issue and an update resolved it with no further issues. I would recommend C'n'Q to everyone with a A64 as not only it makes the chip and everything else in your case (due to less heat produced by the CPU) run cooler, quieter and ofcourse saves power/electricity.

Check for BIOS updates for your Mobo, then uninstall the Mobo drivers (if already installed) and reinstall them again and make sure the AMD CPU drivers are part of the driver package (mine had them included). You can always visit www.amd.com and download latest CPU drivers and install them. But i feel its a BIOS issue which probably has problem with your Venice (Sandiego in my case) core running CnQ and should do fine once its been updated.

MontyBurns

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Flashing the BIOS did the trick...

Now running Cool 'n' Quiet at 997mhz, CPU temp at 34, CPU fan at 1100rpm.

System is quieter - now to replace the stock case fan with a Vantec stealth to eliminate a bit more noise.

I'll see how that works and then consider a replacement HSF/heat sink.