djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
So, I just finished my new system last night, here's the specs:

Proc: I7 2700k
GPU: Asus HD7870
Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V LE (Z68)
Ram: 16G of RipsawZ
Displays: S23A750D (23" 3d monitor) & an old 17" square syncmaster lcd display.

My question:
Should I use the Sandybridge integrated graphics for my 17" non-gaming side-kick monitor, and have only my 3d gaming monitor on the discreet card?

I know that the second monitor uses some GPU power and I would probably benefit from this performance wise, but would it cause any problems configuration wise (i.e. the two drivers working in tandem not being as seemless as both monitors driven through the single driver).

I'll probably try it when I get home, but was curious if anyone has experience with it.

Solution
45fps with a 7870 or 4870?

If you're concerned unplug the second monitor and see if you can see a fps gain. You won't be able to though.

edit: oh just read "per eye". 90fps is quite good lol.

if you want to squeeze more performance out, you oc. The 7870 can oc very well.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
A monitor that isn't playing games has a near 0 performance impact on a card like the 7870. Don't worry about it and just run them both off of it (in non-eyefinity mode).

I'm not even sure how possible it is to use both at the same time, but it's certainly not worth it.

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

I own a 8800gtx (so an outdated GPU) and when playing games that I can't play on best graphix quality I don,t see any perfromance lost when I use my second monitor for none gaming purpose (even video streaming seems to have no impact).

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Perhaps I'm just over-micro-managing everything :)

I had been running a 4870 with the same config (with no 3d), but with the opportunity to split the two up on different controllers, I was hoping that maybe I could squeeze out a bit more performance, since I've got one monitor running 1080p@120hz and the other 1024x768@60hz that's kinda a funky framebuffer to maintain.
(I'm 'only' getting about 45fps per eye in skyrim on ultra ;) )

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
45fps with a 7870 or 4870?

If you're concerned unplug the second monitor and see if you can see a fps gain. You won't be able to though.

edit: oh just read "per eye". 90fps is quite good lol.

if you want to squeeze more performance out, you oc. The 7870 can oc very well.

Solution

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I've considered OCing it, but I'm not a big overclocker. More than likely I'll just drop my AA down to 4x (i'm assuming TES games still apply 8x at max) or play with one or two of the other settings to see if I can get it to 60. But, I may yet OC it too, I've just never really done it before.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
OC if you like tinkering with settings. If you like things to just work, then ocing (at least on the gpu) isn't really for you.

MSI afterburner is your one stop solution to ocing if you're interested. And if you want to stay perfectly safe, just don't touch the voltage and see how fast you can go at stock voltage. Expect plenty of computer restarts.

Also just moving the "power control" (or wtvr it's called) in CCC all the way to the max might give you a healthy fps boost. I haven't tried it with a 7xxx card but it works wonders for the 69xx cards. I'd try this first whether you oc or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.