New GPU, no display on monitor, PC won't boot.

Conjo91

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hi guys, I recently had a HD4890 gifted to me from a friend, who got an upgrade. Today I put it in my PC, but there was no display when I pressed the power on button, and the PC wouldn't boot. Put my old GPU back it, and it booted fine. Specs here:

HP XW4300 Workstation
Pentium D 3.4 ghz
2GB DDR2 667mhz ram
NVIDIA GT220
XFX Pro Series 450W 80+ Bronze Certified PSU.

I thought it was maybe the drivers from the NVIDIA card, but I don't want to uninstall them just yet, until I know what the problem is.

Any help guys?

Conjo91

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Woops, it's 550W, not 450, sorry. I read on the AMD site that this card needs 500W. So I should be good right. Another little detail is, the PC does boot on for about a second, before shutting off again, and it does this in a loop until I pull the power.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
have you plugged the power cable correctly on the GPU before running it?

your GT220 does not have it but the 4890 does, and if you did nto connect them the video card will not work properly and in some cases you can even burn the gpu.

don't forget to plug the 2x 6pin on the gpu before running your computer...

if you did that and yet the pc did boot fine, maybe your psu is with some problem by running the 4890 in your system since it requires much more energy than you 220, but that 450w xfx psu is not bad and should work fine. make sure you have connected all the power pins.

otherwise yes a powersupply upgrade should fix that issue.

Conjo91

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Well the 550w is brand new, bought it specially for the card. For the power it requres a 6 pin and a 8 pin connector. I've used the 6+2 pin from the PSU to go into the 6 pin slot, and a Molex to 6 pin converter, then a 6 pin to 6+2 pin converter to go into the 8 pin slot. I did try to use the 6+2 from my PSU in the 8 slot and just the molex to 6 pin in the 6 pin slot, and the same thing happens.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
the converter 6 pin to 6+2 pin didn't looked like a good idea, but this is strange, maybe there is a problem with the gpu, maybe your friend gave it to you because of that problem? have you tested it in another computer? try it again on your friend computer? maybe something you did could have caused the gpu to die?

Conjo91

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
The last time my friend used it (a couple of weeks ago) it was working well. But sending it back to him will be a problem, because it will cost £10 postage, we don't live too close to each other. I also don't have another computer :S. The only thing I think might be the source of the problem is that when I first put the card in, there was a little plastic clip on the PCI-e slot. The clip was on the very edge of the slot, and it wasn't connected to any electric parts, it was there to hold the card in place, and when I tried to take it out again, the clip got caught. So I applied quite a lot of force to pull out the GPU, maybe this was it?

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
well depending on how you removed it, it could have damaged the pci-e connectors, if it did.

THe pci slot is working since your other video card card is working in the slot, maybe you could have damaged other card components by applying too much force, really i can't tell, but it could be, would be nice to try that gpu out in other computer with a good psu, and check if it will work, maybe the gpu was already dead when you got it.

Conjo91

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Before my PC boots into BIOS, there is a black screen with white text, it's for the NVIDIA driver. Could it be that because that appears before the BIOS boots, it's blocking my ATI card from working?

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
well i'm not sure, but try using your old card, to uninstall all Nvidia drivers, and try again, but i think that it should work even without driver or with nvidia drivers, but it is a good idea to test that, post your feedback here, if it worked, or if it didn't worked.

Conjo91

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Just went into Device Manager, uninstalled drivers for the device, went into control panel, and uninstalled all Nvidia program drivers. But upon restarting the PC, the text still showed, and no change in the function of the 4890. Tommorow I will buy an 6 to 8 pin to replace the 6 to 6+2 pin to see if it works any better.

Conjo91

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I've noticed that when I boot up, all 4 of the red lights flash in order, then the PC powers down. My friend said he had the same problem when he used a 6 + 2 pin adapter, but when he changed it to an 8 pin, it worked fine. So hopefully it will help.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Check around in your BIOS. If you get "NVIDIA" text and then it locks up on boot, i would think the issue is in there providing the card isn't faulty. I don't think at all this is driver or software issues, its hardware forsure.

If you can, update your bios as well. HP "May" have a new bios for it. BUT, if you go that route make sure you don't have a bios lock jumper or switch in your bios that locks the bios from Updates/Malicious Scripts, i screwed up a buddies pc because of that.

Conjo91

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Well I recently updated my BIOS to run my Pentium D because it was giving me warnings all of a sudden. But I just can't get that Nvidia text to go away... maybe if I do a format of my PC?

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

if that is happening on boot, before even trying to start windows, formatting HD will not help.

Conjo91

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I recorded a video of what happens in the PC, here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jZak1tNL4I. That's the first time I've noticed the beeps, they may have been there before, but I didn't pick up on them. Only thing is, I can't find what four beeps means for my PC...

Conjo91

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I did check that page for any sign of what 4 bleeps meant, but almost all of the scenarios mentioned there refer to a red blinking power LED, which I don't have on my mobo. I'm also sending a support ticket to XFX, to see if I can get it RMA'd.

Conjo91

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hi guys, I did notice something strange about my PSU too. When the PC is off but the PSU is on, the PSU starts making a high pitched whining noise. Is this normal?