Stacking Circuit Boards?

anton2k

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Hey guy's, i am in the middle of working on a project where space and form factor is of the essence (need to make the system as small and as compact as possible).

Here is the scenario, i have 4 Circuit Boards, some have mounting holes & some don't, they are all different dimensions. How would i go about stacking these above each other, also as a side note, the boards are all independent of each other they don't physically connect to each other.

Standoff's would have worked because they can screw into each other, but again because some of the boards don't have holes and are all different sizes they will not work. Some suggested i use wooden dowel with notches cut out and rubber bands but yea, i plan to resell what i am doing and i don't want it to look botched + i doubt the dowels would be secure.

Again just to recap this is a picture of what i am trying to do, the difference being my boards DO NOT! connect into each other like the picture shows, but it gives you an idea.

Picture:
http://www.go-ev.co.uk/projects/batteryCycler/cycler.jpg

TIA - Anton.

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
One thing I can think of is to create bars that have small notches made into them so that it holds the edges of each circuit board. Similar to a bookshelf.

How close do you have components to the edge? You can make a rack with slots in the sides that you slide the circuit boards into, it lets you put all of them into a nice enclosed housing which could be nice if you plan to resell them.

anton2k

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Thank's for the reply's guys, yea the components are really close to the edge i think the smallest is like 3mm if that.

- Anton