Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$1500 Gaming/Rendering PC. Please help me finalize my build

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 14, 2012 9:20:37 PM

I've done a lot of research on this awesome forum to come up with this build. Please help me finalize everything. I've been using my mac mini for 5 years and gaming on it is just god awful. =(

Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: $1500 CAD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, rendering 3D animation, photoshop, web surfing, movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, sound card, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ncix.com

Country: Canada

Parts Preferences: intel, nVidia

Overclocking: a little

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC


CPU - Intel Core i7 3770K Unlocked Quad Core Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.5GHZ Ivy Bridge 8MB Retail $380
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=70540&vpn=BX80637I73770K&...

MOBO - ASRock Z77 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 DVI HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard $185
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=70902&promoid=1027

CPU FAN - Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366/1155/1156/2011 120MM $35
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=64385&vpn=RR-212E-20PK-R2...

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory $50
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57953&vpn=F3-12800CL9D-8G...

CASE - NZXT Switch 810 Full ATX Steel Case 4X5.25 6X3.5 2XUSB3.0 Audio and Mic Input - Black $170
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=68600&vpn=CA-SW810-B1&man...

GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 1006MHZ 2GB 6.2GHZ GDDR5 SLI 2xDVI HDMI DP HDCP PCI-E DirectX 11 Video Card $470
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=71941&vpn=02G-P4-2678-KR&...

PSU - XFX 750W PRO750W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 62A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze PSU $105
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=59617

HDD - Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5IN SATA3 SandForce SF-2281 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive $100
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=62873&promoid=1027

STORAGE - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM $110
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=50895&promoid=1027

OPT DRIVE - ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black $20
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=49597&vpn=DRW-24B1ST%20Bu...

grand total = $1625 before rebates
$1545 after rebates


Any suggestion/advice to improve or reduce costs is much appreciated!

Thank you for your time.

Best solution

June 14, 2012 10:19:37 PM

You've made some great choices there. Here are some things that I would change to improve it:

Maybe get 16 Gb of RAM. It will help you with rendering.

I think your case is pretty expensive for your budget, not to mention, really big. You don't really need a full ATX tower. A mid tower would be just fine. If you like Nzxt cases, take a look at Nzxt Phantom. I personally like the Corsair Carbide 500R.

I would opt for the WD Caviar Blue right now especially since HDD prices are still inflated. You're only using this drive as a storage anyway. Take a look at these models as well and see which one is cheaper: Samsung Spinpoint or Seagate Barracuda.

NCIX also does price-matching. When I bought my parts there, they price-matched every single item without any fuss. It will be worth it. Check out these websites and see where it is cheaper: Directcanada.com, Bestdirect.ca, or Newegg.ca.

Happy Building! :) 
Share
June 14, 2012 10:51:03 PM

Yep, your case is too big and too expensive. Personally I would go for a Cooler Master HAF 912. Make sure you find a case that you like yourself, not just one that people say is good!

A few of the parts are cheaper on Newegg.ca.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 15, 2012 7:30:33 PM

l0v3rboi said:
You've made some great choices there. Here are some things that I would change to improve it:

Maybe get 16 Gb of RAM. It will help you with rendering.

I think your case is pretty expensive for your budget, not to mention, really big. You don't really need a full ATX tower. A mid tower would be just fine. If you like Nzxt cases, take a look at Nzxt Phantom. I personally like the Corsair Carbide 500R.

I would opt for the WD Caviar Blue right now especially since HDD prices are still inflated. You're only using this drive as a storage anyway. Take a look at these models as well and see which one is cheaper: Samsung Spinpoint or Seagate Barracuda.

NCIX also does price-matching. When I bought my parts there, they price-matched every single item without any fuss. It will be worth it. Check out these websites and see where it is cheaper: Directcanada.com, Bestdirect.ca, or Newegg.ca.

Happy Building! :) 


I'll upgrade to 16gb RAM in the future, I don't think it's ncessary right now. =)

So I checked out the 500r and I think it's a very nice case for a cheaper price. I decided to go with it. I guess the nzxt switch is kind of overkill.

I'm switching the WD Caviar black for a Seagate Barracuda 1TB because it's $15 cheaper.

I've price matched all my items with those 3 websites you've provided and I'm waiting for approval right now.

Thank you very much for your suggestions l0verboi! Are all my switches good? Any last changes?
m
0
l
June 15, 2012 7:38:03 PM

nafoni said:
Yep, your case is too big and too expensive. Personally I would go for a Cooler Master HAF 912. Make sure you find a case that you like yourself, not just one that people say is good!

A few of the parts are cheaper on Newegg.ca.


I'm personally a fan of the Switch 810 - I love that case and I would have got it for my build had it been available at the time.

The rest of that build looks great - there's not a whole lot I would really change.
m
0
l
June 16, 2012 8:31:44 AM

jaseon said:
I'll upgrade to 16gb RAM in the future, I don't think it's ncessary right now. =)

So I checked out the 500r and I think it's a very nice case for a cheaper price. I decided to go with it. I guess the nzxt switch is kind of overkill.

I'm switching the WD Caviar black for a Seagate Barracuda 1TB because it's $15 cheaper.

I've price matched all my items with those 3 websites you've provided and I'm waiting for approval right now.

Thank you very much for your suggestions l0verboi! Are all my switches good? Any last changes?


Sounds good. Like I said earlier, you've made some great choices. Happy Building! :D 
m
0
l
June 16, 2012 12:31:55 PM

1: use this great cheap combo
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=72062&vpn=3570K%...
2: the modular version of the xfx isnt that much more on ncix and that the power supply that you picked comes with a lot of extra cables
4: the switch is a bit big so i would have gotten something like the phantom 410 or a 600t
5:it is true that evga has a better warranty, but the card has a much better cooler. get a gigabyte windforce 670. it has waaay better cooling
6:wait out on the ssd. ncix usually has a extreme deal of the day for ssds and they are dam cheap. like for example, yesterday you could have gotten a sandsik extreme for 99.99 with free shipping


should be good now
m
0
l
June 23, 2012 12:44:07 AM

Best answer selected by jaseon.
m
0
l
June 9, 2013 11:17:43 AM

Why the gtx 670 over the gtx 770 when the 770 is better and cheaper? >.>
m
0
l
!