Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Pentium G/I3 or Trinity APU?

Last response: in CPUs
October 16, 2012 2:03:50 AM

After a break from here I'm back and with another question. I'm doing a general purpose build for someone mostly MS office and fooling around on the internet. I was going to go with a Pentium G or an I3 but AMD just released the trinity which is better than the old Llano. So I guess my problem is I don't know what to get. In one way I would like to get the APU however I feel I can't justify buying a phony quad core CPU that performs slower than the Pentium G or I3. So I can spend more and get the Pentium G/I3 or spend less but have a slower so called quad core CPU.

More about : pentium trinity apu

a c 123 à CPUs
October 16, 2012 2:13:29 AM

The APUs are best for HTPCs, mdeia PCs and some entry level gaming (true gaming needs a quad with a discrete GPU).

Honestly the i3 is the way to go but then again you are saying the Trinity APU is cheaper so I assume you are looking at a lower end APU and not the A10 5800K?
October 16, 2012 2:17:27 AM

Ok. Like I said no gaming or anything like that just average everyday use. I had a brain fart and forgot to mention the APU, but to answer your question yes I was looking at the lower end trinity mostly the AMD A4-5300
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2012 2:20:44 AM

Every day use then just go get an intel pentium G6xx/8xx/2120 / i3-3220 etc etc. All of which will perform significantly better than the A4 apu in everything but graphics. Since you're not gaming then graphics don't matter that much to you so get the intel cpu's.
a c 141 à CPUs
October 16, 2012 2:35:33 AM

I would definitely go with the Pentium G or I3. For your use I see no purpose in getting the APU as all you are getting is better graphics, graphics that don’t even matter. You would be better of with the faster and more efficient Intel CPU’s as they will do most jobs faster then the APU.

Best solution

a c 141 à CPUs
October 16, 2012 4:55:18 AM

Pretty much the best way to explain it is Intel CPU's do more work per clock making it faster and more efficient than AMD's Bulldozer and APU's. The perfect example is Intel's I3 3220 vs AMD's A10-5800K. Both are $129 dollars. The A10 is clocked at 3.8 Ghz the I3, 3.3 GHz. You would think the A10 would be faster but in reality On a single threaded apps the I3 is about 25% faster than the higher clocked a10-5800K.

Here is one example: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6347 [...] p-part-2/2
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2012 5:17:17 AM

if you plan on gaming without a discrete card trinity is the way to go. if you really arent going to game at all then the intel solution is better
a c 448 à CPUs
October 16, 2012 6:12:54 AM

In all honesty, based on what that person does with the PC, it doesn't really matter what CPU you decide to buy. The CPU will be idling most of the time.

I would simply go with the Trinity APU in the event that person aspires to play basic games someday. Might as well throw some business towards AMD, they need it more than Intel.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2012 7:58:14 AM

APU is only worth it if you are going to use its function. If you do content creation other integer rich operations, multimedia based appl like movies and websurfing along with casual gaming then the A10 wins out as the Toms article shows in spades, but if you are just looking for something to browse the internet with, then go cheap, buy a Celeron or Pentium based chip, cheap motherboard and some RAM rather than blowing money on non-essentials.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2012 8:14:56 AM

as much as id like to see some money thrown amds way, intel is the obvious choice here. it does everything he wants to do better and with only half the electricity
October 16, 2012 8:17:46 AM

jaguarskx said:
In all honesty, based on what that person does with the PC, it doesn't really matter what CPU you decide to buy. The CPU will be idling most of the time.

I would simply go with the Trinity APU in the event that person aspires to play basic games someday. Might as well throw some business towards AMD, they need it more than Intel.

Actually I agree with this. Office and brownsing work fine on all CPUs. But Trinity lets you play a game too. This is just an added benefit that there is no reason to lose by choosing an Intel core i3 CPU.

This, of course, applies if you intend to spend $130 and buy A10-5800K. If you dont intend to spend more than $100, then Pentium G2120 is the way to go, and will suit you just fine.
October 16, 2012 3:31:38 PM

XXStavrosXX said:
Actually I agree with this. Office and brownsing work fine on all CPUs. But Trinity lets you play a game too. This is just an added benefit that there is no reason to lose by choosing an Intel core i3 CPU.

This, of course, applies if you intend to spend $130 and buy A10-5800K. If you dont intend to spend more than $100, then Pentium G2120 is the way to go, and will suit you just fine.

This is a computer for an older person, pretty much it's a granny computer. There will be absolutely no gaming done. She wouldn't use it for anything more than checking emails and using Office. Based on what was said here it seems the APU isn't really worth it since the biggest thing the graphics don't really matter. I did look at the Celeron's but they just seemed slow and low end to be worth it. Considering this person is coming from an old Pentium 4 even a low-end Pentium G will probably seem like a bullet train.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2012 3:34:24 PM

I3 3220 was his namo.
October 16, 2012 4:22:50 PM

Best answer selected by bjfaia5.
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2012 4:37:36 PM

bjfaia5 said:
This is a computer for an older person, pretty much it's a granny computer. There will be absolutely no gaming done. She wouldn't use it for anything more than checking emails and using Office. Based on what was said here it seems the APU isn't really worth it since the biggest thing the graphics don't really matter. I did look at the Celeron's but they just seemed slow and low end to be worth it. Considering this person is coming from an old Pentium 4 even a low-end Pentium G will probably seem like a bullet train.

If this is the case, it probably doesn't matter what you pick. You might even be better off looking at some Dell or HP deals as those usually come out cheaper than home-built once you factor in OS licensing. Maybe they would like a lower end laptop?
October 16, 2012 11:52:14 PM

twelve25 said:
If this is the case, it probably doesn't matter what you pick. You might even be better off looking at some Dell or HP deals as those usually come out cheaper than home-built once you factor in OS licensing. Maybe they would like a lower end laptop?

Actually I have alot of the parts already so all I need to get is the case motherboard and processor and all that comes to 211 dollars. Thats not to bad IMO for a cheap everyday build. Still I think I would rather have the extra performance of the Pentium G or I3 over the APU.
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2012 12:38:33 AM

can always add a discrete videocard later if you want
!