Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will a Q6600 G0 Bottleneck a GTX560?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 18, 2012 8:25:42 PM

Hi guys, I don't have a lot of money at the moment, and since hardware is quite expensive in my country I can't afford to buy everything at once.

I've decided to go for a GPU first, since I don't really like my current one (a GTS250 CE).

I'm probably getting a GTX560 (Ti if possible) and will run it under this machine:

Q6600 G0 (Stock, but I could OC it);
4GB DDR2 800mhz
nForce 680i

I'm currently playing (all of these in 1440x900):

BF3;
WoW;
Guild Wars 2.

I do believe these are the ones that require more resources from my PC.

I can actually run them all in a quite nice configuration, WoW in high (30~35fps), BF3 (Custom medium~high at 25~30fps) and so on.

The main issue here is: I can't upgrade everything and I decided to buy a new GPU, will a Q6600 bottleneck a GTX560? If so, how hard should I overclock my CPU?

Regards
April 18, 2012 8:49:44 PM

Usually a 3.0GHz quad core is good... I have an AMD Athlon II X4 620 @ 2.6GHz and I recently got a 560 TI. I had similar concerns but I found the 560 TI to be the best bang for the buck card. You may want to wait a few weeks as new nVidia GPU's may be coming out soon. I'm a fan of EVGA and they have a cool 90 day step up upgrade program but I don't know how that works in your country. I'd be most concerned with the current PSU in your system since upgrading the graphics card will stress the PSU much more. Can you determine what the current model/specs of your PSU (power supply) are? thats probably the most important thing at this point. If you plan to gradually build up to a new system I would reccomend investing in a decent PSU. Cheap ones are not worth the reduction in price as they are less efficient and reliable, run hotter, louder and can potentially take out other components with them when they fail.
Check out the following page for info about PSU's:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

I personally like the Corsair TX line and the semi-modular models are a plus (but not completely necessary).

If you plan to gradually build up to a new system I would reccomend the following order:

PSU
GPU
Mobo/CPU/memory - usually best to grab these all at once and likely won't really *need* to do it for quite a while...

You can probably carry your hard drive forward with you and potentially eventually top off a new system with an SSD.

I wouldn't worry so much about CPU bottlenecking with the Q6600 when using the GTX 560TI though it will most likely be present to a slight degree.
Depending on what your current PSU is I wouldn't reccomend spending money on a new graphics card unless you have a decent quality PSU whose rating is slightly greater than the requirements of the graphics card and/or entire system you plan to eventually upgrade/build up to.

One thing I will mention is I am an EVGA fan. If you plan to buy an EVGA card it is helpful to know the difference between the last two letters in the model numbers. Models ending in AR have a lifetime warranty (upon registration) vs a 3 year warranty with those that end in KR.

Models that have the same number other than the last two characters are identical physically and only differ in regards to the warranties they come with.

Sometimes the AR versions of the card are priced $40 - $50 or more above the KR version of the same model in which case it may not be quite so worth it but often the difference is a measly $5 in which case I would definitely opt for the AR version since the $5 isn't much.

Tigerdirect.com has a great deal on for the GTX 560TI right now:

EVGA 01G-P3-1561-KR
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

When deciding which card you want and determining what to expect with regards to performance improvements over your existing card take a look at the following hierarchy:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
April 18, 2012 9:20:46 PM

I currently have a CX500 as my PSU.

Well yes, as I said, hardware is quite expensive in here (brazil) and I don't think I can buy directly from Tigerdirect. But I may take a look about it.

Thanks for the answer geogolem. I'll just take one or two more opinions to have a final decision.

Cheers

E/ I just read the last part about the AR and KR difference, and I did not know that. Thanks for the info, I was kinda interested in knowing why there is a price difference on the same cards.

I'm into eVGA, BFG and XFX. I don't really have a favorite one, but those are the ones I prefer.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 18, 2012 9:36:06 PM

In a game like BF3 your CPU will severely bottleneck it at it's stock clocks.You would need to O.C. to about 3.4ghz to lessen the bottleneck but a processor as old as that just can't cut it anymore in CPU intensive games like BF3.But as long as your planning on upgrading your CPU in the future I don't see a problem with it.

I would suggest buying an aftermarket heatsink and start O.C.ing.They shouldn't be that expensive so you should be able to afford it with the GPU upgrade.
April 18, 2012 9:57:10 PM

I agree with "purple stank": some games like BF3 will be bottlenecked but to be honest if you want to max out BF3 a GTX 560 TI still isn't enough either though in your case the CPU will be the bottleneck. Some games like BF3 etc. have insane requirements across the board and any extra performance will make noticable differences. For most games they take more advantage of the GPU and are notas CPU intensive although it will really depend on the specific application/game and circumstances. Good luck!
April 18, 2012 10:00:53 PM

Thanks for the answer purple stank.

I'm, yes, considering to get a aftermarket heatsink/cooler in case I need to OC. I was thinking about buying a Cooler Master V6 or V8 for that.

Also, how hard do you think it would bottleneck in BF3? I mean, I can have up to 25~30fps (with some lags during gameplay). Will I have an increase?
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 18, 2012 10:03:04 PM

the gts250 you currently have is being bottlenecked by your cpu, especially at only 1440x900 resolution. I suggest a platform upgrade first. What you should do is overclock your cpu, its quite easy to get q6600's to 3ghz without much effort. then compare your before and after FPS, if it increases a few fps, then you can see that you have a cpu bottleneck. If you get no increase, then you have a gpu bottleneck.

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 18, 2012 10:29:33 PM

The bottleneck in BF3 will be pretty severe.You'll definitly get an increase in FPS over your current GPU if you upgrade to a GTX560ti.If you weren't planning on upgrading I would have a problem with it but since you are it will be fine.If your getting 30fps I would expect you would get around 50fps with the GTX560ti.

The bottleneck is just going to hold the card back.But it won't make it worse than your current card.Were just saying that with a new processor it will really let the GPU have some breathing room so it can work at it's full potential.Not to mention the FPS increase from the CPU alone.I noticed a 20 fps increase going from a Phenom ii x4 965 to a 2500k.
April 18, 2012 10:34:07 PM

I had a Q6600 OCed to 3.24 without any voltage increase - Used a D-14 Noctua cooler - I think. Depends on which mobo you have if its a G41 3.0 is about all you can get.
-Bruce
April 18, 2012 10:37:54 PM

Heinzen said:
Hi guys, I don't have a lot of money at the moment, and since hardware is quite expensive in my country I can't afford to buy everything at once.

I've decided to go for a GPU first, since I don't really like my current one (a GTS250 CE).

I'm probably getting a GTX560 (Ti if possible) and will run it under this machine:

Q6600 G0 (Stock, but I could OC it);
4GB DDR2 800mhz
nForce 680i

I'm currently playing (all of these in 1440x900):

BF3;
WoW;
Guild Wars 2.

I do believe these are the ones that require more resources from my PC.

I can actually run them all in a quite nice configuration, WoW in high (30~35fps), BF3 (Custom medium~high at 25~30fps) and so on.

The main issue here is: I can't upgrade everything and I decided to buy a new GPU, will a Q6600 bottleneck a GTX560? If so, how hard should I overclock my CPU?

Regards

There is no way to match the relative speeds of various components exactly, hence there will always be one that is the slowest. You can call this a bottleneck if you wish. I do not. If you replace the slowest component in any system all you've really done is moved your bottleneck to the next slowest component. If you replace them all one at a time you will eventually end up back where you started. Personally, I have better things to do with my time.
April 18, 2012 11:24:24 PM

Uhm, well, since I'm playing in a tournament to get a sponsorship to play BF3, and I really need a quick FPS increase in it, should I pick a CPU first instead?

I always considered getting a 2500k
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 18, 2012 11:47:44 PM

No.You'd gain more with a GPU upgrade.BF3 is more GPU limited than CPU limited.

What version of Windows do you have?
April 19, 2012 12:01:21 AM

You CPU is completely fine for a 560 Ti, in fact, that's an almost perfectly balanced gaming machine. (A smidge of overclocking on the processor would help, though. 2-300mhz)

95% of the builds on these forums have way more processing horsepower than the graphics solutions can use. I dunno if they plan on sli/xfire later, or they just don't know what's balanced, but the results are pretty sub-optimal for gaming.

Tom's even has a 4 part guide on building balanced game machines (fair warning, it's a long read)

part 1
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-balanced-plat...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/balanced-gaming-pc,...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/balanced-gaming-pc-...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/balanced-gaming-pc-...
April 19, 2012 12:13:02 AM

I'm using 7 Ultimate x64, I don't know which build it is though.

Thanks for these links, quilciri, I'll read these before deciding.

Also, just to let you know that I'll rate a best answer later on ^^
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 19, 2012 12:23:25 AM

If you have Windows 7 that means you can play in DX11 with the GTX560ti.

That build guide is from 2009...
April 19, 2012 12:24:45 AM

purple stank said:
If you have Windows 7 that means you can play in DX11 with the GTX560ti.

That build guide is from 2009...

Yes, but it has both CPU's and graphics cards that can be correlated to the ones the OP is using and considering. (see the post immediately above yours)

besides, the Q6600 is at least that old :) 
April 19, 2012 12:28:40 AM

I have it for, 6 years? I'm guessing because I can't remember :p 
April 19, 2012 12:39:00 AM

Lol, This whole thread is a little meaningless considering the target resolution for the OP is 1440x900

Neither the Q6600 nor the 560 Ti will come into question at that resolution. You'll be able to run nearly every game in existence with graphics settings fully cranked at good framerates.
April 19, 2012 1:15:31 AM

Actually something interesting is that CPU bottlenecks become more apparent at lower resolutions because the CPU cannot keep up with the high frame rates the GPU is putting out, making the CPU the more limiting factor; Typically resolution changes are really only impacted by GPU performance and not CPU. If the CPU is the limiting factor the performance at 1440x900 will be the same as the performance at 1920x1080 while if the GPU is the limiting factor the performance at 1920x1080 will be lower than 1440x900.

There was actually a bug in some game/setup in the past that would burn out any CPU at low resolutions because they never capped the number of frames the GPU would put out. The game would play fine at high resolution but at low resolution the number of frames per second that the GPU was putting out was soo high that the system would actually stall and the CPU would burn out doing basically nothing. Anyway I cant remember the exact details but it was something like i described. I think to prevent such behavior they actually drop/skip frames at lower resolutions to avoid this problem thus giving a lower experienced framerate than the GPU could potentially provide.

Read the third post in the following thread for another example: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/323788-28-games-frame...

Having said all that I still reccomend the GTX 560TI. If you have all graphics settings turned up on high at 1440x900 you will have decent framerates. If the CPU is the bottleneck, increases from that resolution to a higher one may actually improve your performance along with the higher resolution visuals.
a b Î Nvidia
April 19, 2012 1:25:59 AM

If you choose a 560ti and overclocked your cpu and increased your ram to 8 gig you will be able to play BF3 at Ultra but with motion Blur and MSAA turned off.
I am able to run BF3 perfectly with a QX9650 and with 560ti SLI and it does not bottleneck or stutter, the game plays smoothly. I know I have a more powerful processor but having a second 560ti was possible, of course id get even better performance with a newer processor but it is possible for your set up to run BF3 well with one 560ti and a decent overclock and more ram.
April 19, 2012 1:30:48 AM

A Q6600 will run at 3.0 GHz on the stock cooler with little or no increase in core voltage. Even a mediocre cooler will let you run at 3.33 GHz.
April 19, 2012 1:41:54 AM

While the delta between a Q6600 and a 2500k becomes larger at lower resolutions, it doesn't matter when both are above 60 fps....
April 19, 2012 2:18:39 AM

This is relevant to me too, since I have a spare Q6600 @ 3.0 (stock voltage) running 4gb of DDR2 on a G45 board (main PC is 2600K + 6950 2gb Xfire). I'm thinking about turning the Conroe into a lounge room PC for movies, music and for my wife to game on.

@ Heinzen, a Q6600 @ 3ghz is roughly equivalent to a Phemon II 955 @ 3ghz. At stock it's roughly equivalent to a mid-range Athlon X4. Tom's has a heap of guides using these two AMD chips so you may want to browse among those articles.

Tom's also has a performance guide for BF3 - that will tell you that it is fairly CPU-agnostic - ie choice of CPU makes very little difference above a fairly low minimum threshold.

My advice is to go with the GPU upgrade first as it will make far more difference to your performance than a CPU/platform upgrade.
April 19, 2012 2:36:44 AM

Ok, so I'm checking prices on a normal GTX560 and a GTX560Ti. I'm getting somewhere between +60$ (100 BRL) for the Ti version. I may still search if I can get a super-clocked version, since they buy it in the USA and sell them in Brazil.

Thanks for the answers guys, I'll take another look tomorrow and post some finds. I'll rate the best answer so far tomorrow aswell ^^

Cheers
a b Î Nvidia
April 19, 2012 2:40:07 AM

Have a look also on ebay, and see if you can get one from a seller that ships worldwide from the US, might work out to be cheaper for you.
April 19, 2012 2:53:06 AM

Thanks for the tip, monsta

Cheers
April 19, 2012 3:00:11 AM

Actualy I have a q6600 and it does not even bottleneck my 8800gtx in a few games.
April 19, 2012 4:36:12 AM

As others have said, dollar for dollar (or whatever the currency is where you live ;D), you'll see the most gain with the midr-range GPU upgrade plus moderate overclock for the Q6600.
April 19, 2012 7:23:01 AM

venur said:
Actualy I have a q6600 and it does not even bottleneck my 8800gtx in a few games.

Thats because an 8800GTX is as old as the Q6600, and its MUCH slower than a GTX560ti

Overclocking the Q6600 will yield amazing results in terms of performance - From 2.4ghz to 3.2Ghz is a 33% increase, and the performance reflects this.

At 3.6Ghz is where the Q6600 shines, its performance surpasses a stock Core i7 920 and the bottleneck would be almost completely mitigated in fairly GPU intensive games.

Bare in mind that a 3.6Ghz Q6600 is as fast as a Phenom II 980 if not faster
April 19, 2012 7:41:26 AM

Oh, there's also a somewhat brutal video solution. It basically gives up Directx 11 and power efficiency for raw performance.

newegg has a refurb'd 4870x2 for $160 right now. It comes with a 1 year warranty. Normally I wouldn't recommend a refurb'd card, but a 1 year warranty is better than almost all new cards have. EVGA is the only exception I can think of - they have limited lifetime warranties.

The card is 2 4870's on one PCB with 2gb. It's a bit more powerful than xfire'd 4870's. It has equivalent performance to a HD 6970 or GTX 570. However, the sucker draws 265w at load (same as xfire'd 4870's), so make sure you 12v rail is at least 32a to stay under the 75% load max efficiency window for PSU's. You might also need an adapter, since the card requires a 6 pin and an 8 pin connector, but those are only $4.

It's also a DirectX 10.1 card, so if you'd be bothered by losing the dx11 niceties, don't worry about it.

Most people I know wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a dx10 and a dx11 scene unless i pointed it out, and I'm not bothered by losing dx10 personally. If you think that applies to you, that card is fantastic performance for the money.

A friend of mine just bought a pair of these, and his gaming performance will smoke mine once he gets them in. going by the 4000 series xfire scaling, they'll perform as well as a 6990 (or 680). He had to buy a 1000w PSU to support them, though >.<
April 19, 2012 5:31:57 PM

I'm almost decided to get a 560Ti and overclock my Q6600 to 3.33 after getting a aftermarket cooler.

Thanks for the tips guys
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 19, 2012 8:00:45 PM

What aftermarket cooler are you thinking of getting?

I would suggest the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO.
April 20, 2012 2:01:08 AM

I considered a V6 or V8 or 612, since I'll use those for a new CPU aswell, when I get the money.

Is the 212 enough to handle a 2500k OC'ed?
April 20, 2012 2:20:47 AM

What about the hyper TX3?

Edit: I OC'ed my Q6600 to 3.0, 1.32V. It's running 70°C while running Prime95 (full load).

I tried WoW ultra and didn't have much better performance (with my GTS250).
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 20, 2012 3:05:27 AM

I would suggest the TX3.It's a little on the weak side,imo.
April 20, 2012 3:06:56 AM

Ok, so 212, and V6 are my top ones atm

Edit: 212 does not support 1155, is there any recommended one that has the Q6600 socket, but does fit a 1155, or that would be just a dumb question?
April 20, 2012 3:23:05 AM

Nevermind on what I said. I can play WoW on ultra with 45fps steady after the OC.

Lol

Didn't expect to see such a 'plus'
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 20, 2012 3:42:57 AM

The 212 DOES support 1155.
April 20, 2012 3:44:42 AM

Lame website where I checked then... It only said 775, 1156 and something else that wasn't 1155
April 20, 2012 3:57:14 AM

Best answer selected by Heinzen.nnnnFor the record, I picked your answer as the best, mainly because you're helping me out in almost everything I asked. Thanks for that.
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 20, 2012 3:57:38 AM

It's an old cooler they probably haven't updated it yet.

Here it is from Newegg...

CPU Socket:
Intel: Sandy Bridge 1155 / LGA 1366 / 1156 / 775
AMD: FM1 / AM3+ / AM3 / AM2+ / AM2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That was the Hyper 212+.Here is the Evo(the updated version of the 212+).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And yes I know you can't order from that site.It's just for reference.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
April 20, 2012 10:31:18 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!