Pentium III xeon in HP notebook

tmy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I have been given a HP notebook which is a 6730b, but it has a Pentium III Xeon processor.

Having done a fairly deep search on this, I can only confirm that they exist on one list with HP part number:
NA373UC#ABA

A "normal" 6730b had a P8x00 or P9x00 Core 2 Duo CPU and ran Vista on release.

Questions are:

1. what is with this strange config?
2. is there any actual advantage/disadvantage? slower, cheaper, less battery time?
3. is it possible to do a re-install of windows 7 on it?

This a 2008/9 era notebook, so why is there a late 20th century (1999) processor in it?

There seems to be no documentation from HP online about it either.

Anyone familiar with this unit?

thanks!

I can't find any concrete info on it either, but one thing I definitely can tell you is that it would have been insanely slow for 2008.

My guess is that it's a 500-700Mhz CPU (the fastest Slot 2 server level PIII Xeon was 1Ghz).

If my guess is correct, it's not really good for much.

Also, for what it's worth, I can't even find any info on a mobile version of a PIII Xeon even existing. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, but Google shows nothing as far a mobile PIII Xeon's go. Lots of mobile PIII's, but no mobile PIII Xeon's.

That processor doesn't exist and wouldn't run in any new computer. There were a couple of mobile Pentium III processors used over a decade ago but nothing branded as Xeon. HP did infact make laptops with Pentium III processors that ran as fast as 1Ghz but these have been out of production for a very long time.

You will not be able to install Windows Vista or Windows 7 on a Pentium III processor, you can install Windows XP though.

I tend to agree with that, but that model (with a PIII Xeon) is listed on this (rather ambiguous) page: http://www.virtualcomputer.com/hcl?order=Audio&sort=asc&page=36

Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq 6730b (NA373UC#ABA) Intel Pentium III Xeon processor Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Cont[8086:2a42] NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express[14e4:1693];;;PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh] Network Connectio[8086:4237] 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller[8086:293e]

Oh there definitely are Pentium III Xeons, quite a number of them in fact. I'm just not aware of any having ever been sold in a laptop because they were all in the Slot2 socket

tmy

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
thanks to all for the very prompt replies.

Have finally got back to laptop and done the CPU-Z on it and yes, it displays that in fact the CPU is a P8400 Core2Duo (Penryn).

However in System Info, it is still listed as a Pentium III Xeon.

Strange, but at least it brings the laptop into the 21st Century!

Thanks again!

I must see a screenshot of this