another_Moose

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
I am building a new system and the consensus is to go with IBM but there does not seem to be much of a difference on the 60GXP vs the 75GXP lines from the spec sheets on the IBM website. Is there a major difference from real world experience?

I plan to set up 2 in RAID 0 for speed and the choices so far are 20GB 60GXP or 15GB 75GXP both at 7200rpm. Considring my current system only has 1 HD at 12GB, and not even 2/3 full, I think either would be enough space.

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

G

I heard that IBM is about to stop making the 75GXP because they cost too much to make, with the chipset on the drive. In my own opinion, the 75 GXP is a faster choice. You don't have the buy the 75GB version. The 30.7GB version should be more then enough. I have one of those on my system which i use for DV editing. The software tested the drive with DMA on with average of 35MB/s in both read or write. When i disabled the DMA, the write dropped to 5MB/s, but the read went up to 95MB/s in average.

Contrary to the other guy, I've been led to believe the 60GXP is faster....and cooler....and cheaper....and quieter.

Not much choice really.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I'm with you. The only 60gxp I've heard was a 20gig, and it's just a little quieter than my 75gxp. I've not checked tranfer rates, but I bet there's just a little performace boost (2-3meg/sec).

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've read that the 60GXP has a higher platter density than the 75GXP.

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

Yes.

The 75GXP has 15GB per platter, which means to reach 40GB it needs 3 platters. The 60GXP has 20GB p/p which means less platters = less noise/heat etc.

<b>
</b>

G

You'd think the 75gxp would be the latest, but the 60gxp is actually the 'newer' drive. I read somewhere that ibm is changing the naming scheme or something...

Maybe they're doing it like a music chart.

75, 60, 45, 30, 20, 19 etc.

New in at 45 this little disc will have you jumping! LOL

<b>
</b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
while having a lower max capacity, the 60GXP is more advanced & newer.
higher data density per platter (20gig compared to 15gig) means less platters.
i.e. the 60g 75gxp has 4 platters / 8 heads.
the 60g 60gxp has only 3 platters / 6 heads.

that means its quieter, cooler and the sustained data transfer rate is a little higher.

ive got a 40gig 60GXP and its one sweet drive. after 4 days continual running in a case with no fans its merly "warm"
6gig win2k 34gig games/music.

AMD chips run hot. The world is getting hotter. Therefore, AMD is causing Global Warming!

G

I've looked on my HDD and I haven't been able to find any distinguishing marks that would tell me if I have a 60GXP or the 75GXP. I'm listed at 45 Gigs, so should I assume that I have the 75GXP since it has a platter density of 15GB? This was the drive that came with my Gateway2K machine...is there anyway I can tell without ripping the drive out of the system?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
like i said...
look at the drive ID at bootup (drive detection) OR
run some program that can tell you (i know sandra 2001 can do it)

if it starts with DTLA- its most likely a 75gxp or earlier.
if it starts with IC... its a 60gxp.

i just purchaced another 60gxp for my friend. bargain basement prices. niiiice

AMD chips run hot. The world is getting hotter. Therefore, AMD is causing Global Warming!