Product Key Addition To Installation CD

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Hi,
I am setting up an installation CD of windows XP Pro. The only piece of
information that I don't want my employees to enter is the Product Key.
We're under a volume lincense and I don't want the key to be widely
available, so I want it pre-entered during installation. I tried adding it
to a "Sysprep.inf" file that I created (in I386 folder), but that doesn't
seem to work. I editted the Unattended.txt and added Productkey = "xx...xx"
under USERDATA then saved as to winnt.sif (again in I386 directory) but now I
am getting many errors during installation. I have all entries commented in
that file except for PRODUCTKEY line... Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Jason wrote:
> I am setting up an installation CD of windows XP Pro. The only piece
> of information that I don't want my employees to enter is the Product
> Key. We're under a volume lincense and I don't want the key to be
> widely available, so I want it pre-entered during installation. I
> tried adding it to a "Sysprep.inf" file that I created (in I386
> folder), but that doesn't seem to work. I editted the Unattended.txt
> and added Productkey = "xx...xx" under USERDATA then saved as to
> winnt.sif (again in I386 directory) but now I am getting many errors
> during installation. I have all entries commented in that file
> except for PRODUCTKEY line... Any help is appreciated.

Customize it properly..

http://unattended.msfn.org/

--
<- Shenan ->

Windows XP Service Pack 1 Volume License Product Key Encryption
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=328356

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Jason" wrote:

| Hi,
| I am setting up an installation CD of windows XP Pro. The only piece of
| information that I don't want my employees to enter is the Product Key.
| We're under a volume lincense and I don't want the key to be widely
| available, so I want it pre-entered during installation. I tried adding it
| to a "Sysprep.inf" file that I created (in I386 folder), but that doesn't
| seem to work. I editted the Unattended.txt and added Productkey = "xx...xx"
| under USERDATA then saved as to winnt.sif (again in I386 directory) but now I
| am getting many errors during installation. I have all entries commented in
| that file except for PRODUCTKEY line... Any help is appreciated.
| Thanks

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

I thought I did... Nothing in the description of the Unattended file
description says that all entries are required, so I only left the [UserData]
section and in it I had "ProductKey = xxxxx". When running the installation
program, this apparently generates a lot of errors and continued installation
is not possible.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Jason wrote:
> > I am setting up an installation CD of windows XP Pro. The only piece
> > of information that I don't want my employees to enter is the Product
> > Key. We're under a volume lincense and I don't want the key to be
> > widely available, so I want it pre-entered during installation. I
> > tried adding it to a "Sysprep.inf" file that I created (in I386
> > folder), but that doesn't seem to work. I editted the Unattended.txt
> > and added Productkey = "xx...xx" under USERDATA then saved as to
> > winnt.sif (again in I386 directory) but now I am getting many errors
> > during installation. I have all entries commented in that file
> > except for PRODUCTKEY line... Any help is appreciated.
>
> Customize it properly..
>
> http://unattended.msfn.org/
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Thanks, I am installing XP with SP2. Is the 'y' parameter optional? I don't
need a time limit.
Thanks

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Windows XP Service Pack 1 Volume License Product Key Encryption
> http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=328356
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

> "Jason" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> | I am setting up an installation CD of windows XP Pro. The only piece of
> | information that I don't want my employees to enter is the Product Key.
> | We're under a volume lincense and I don't want the key to be widely
> | available, so I want it pre-entered during installation. I tried adding it
> | to a "Sysprep.inf" file that I created (in I386 folder), but that doesn't
> | seem to work. I editted the Unattended.txt and added Productkey = "xx...xx"
> | under USERDATA then saved as to winnt.sif (again in I386 directory) but now I
> | am getting many errors during installation. I have all entries commented in
> | that file except for PRODUCTKEY line... Any help is appreciated.
> | Thanks

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

I used Setupmgr.exe and that fixed the problem.