Wit's end(upraded video card issues)

ericngin

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Ok. I have a problem. I have the gateway fx7026 desktop computer(here is a link with all of the specs http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1015336R/1015336Rnv.shtml.

I purchased a Geforce 560ti to replace a Radeon HD5770(which has worked perfectly for 3 years). I installed it with the latest whql drivers and fired up a game. The audio immediately begin stuttering in correlation with jerky frames(on 2d and 3d images). My first thought was power supply. So I went to BB and picked up a 600 watt thermaltake and popped it in. Same issues. If i reboot i can get one 3d game to load up and play. However if i exit that game and start up the same game or any other it freezes and stutters and i have to reboot to get anything to work. Even browsing after a while it gets wonky. I have tried installing and reinstalling numerous drivers including legacy and beta to no avail. I've uninstalled the nvidia audiohd drivers. Please help me out. It's driving me nuts!!!

I bet it's AMD drivers fault. It always is!

Anyway, would you reinstall windows? It's guaranteed to solve all the issues if it's not a faulty card (which shouldn't be, cuz I haven't ever heard hardware failure of GPU causes stuttering sound). It's also the fastest way to resolve the issue: you could spend days trying to remove remnants of AMD drivers, and still miss a .dll or so. And don't use driver sweeper! It's no longer updated and clears what it shouldn't, might make your PC unusable.

scopey86

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
If you don't want to reformat yet, go and get something like driver sweeper and make sure you've fully deleted your old drivers as well as your new ones. After that download and run CCleaner and let it check through your registry (make sure to save a backup when it asks you if you want to) and clean out all the old/missing entries. After that reinstall the most recent non-beta drivers available, but make sure you choose the clean install option just to be extra cautious.

Obviously it would be best to restart your pc in between each step, but it's not neccessarily required youd o. I

Also Sunius: Driver Sweeper is not discontinued. It is no longer supported on Guru3d after a spat with Phyxion (the maker of driver sweeper). He still updates the program and it can be found at

http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/

Though a new version has not come out in a little while. I can personally speak for it as I still do use it between new drivers in tandem with CCleaner.

ericngin

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
I removed every driver in safe mode and ran a driver cleaner twice in safe mode to remove any remnants. I installed the latest nvidia drivers and i'm still having the same issue. any other suggestions?