Computer Crashes(during certain games only)

Rocksteady0

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Today I was playing torchlight and after about 30-45 minutes, my monitor turned a pale yellow and the audio of the game and the music I was listening would stutter. So I restarted my computer, tried playing the game again, and crashed in less than 5 minutes. The weird thing is, is that it doesn't happen at all on higher fidelity games(Skyrim, Counterstrike: Global Offensive, Metro 2033, even The Witcher 2). I've had this happen in a game called Dungeon Defenders as well a while ago, which isn't a demanding game either. Does anyone have any idea why something like this would happen, because it just seems so strange to me. Also, I am using the latest non-beta Nvidia Drivers. Any answers appreciated.

(Also not sure if this is the right place to ask this :whistle: )

Specs:
Windows 7 64-bit
GTX 570
intel i7-2600K
8GB ram

Solution
did you try right clicking on the icon go to properties/compatibility/run this program..... perhaps windows 95 ?

and you may want to run this game with vsync enabled in the video card's control panel.

Rocksteady0

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

I was just playing counterstrike and my GPU was at ~75, but I don't think that would be the problem because I crashed within 5 minutes of playing Torchlight. All of my temps at idle are 20-30

wickedw3s

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Oddly enough this exact issue is happening for me, for the exact same game and a couple others. I'm using a Nvidia 9800 GT, and the power supply is a Raidmax 530w I believe. I also keep the side panel open so there is plenty of circulation.

I can play my CoD's like MW and BO just fine. For Borderlands, and mainly dungeon defenders, my monitor will suddenly go out and the sound will start to skip like it crashed, sometimes. Other times the sound continues.

It's also pretty random. I can play DD for hours, and nothing happens. But today it happened within about 5 minutes of playing. I restarted the computer, tried again, and crashed even sooner. I just thought it was a bit odd it happened to the same game for both of us, in the same manner.

Wicked

Rocksteady0

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

I don't know much about compatibility, but Torchlight came out in 2009 and Dungeon Defenders in 2011, so it seems like it would be a bad idea to run in windows 95. I'll try the Vsync later though.

Rocksteady0

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

I have to launch the games through steam, I tried running it in compatibility mode but it wouldn't let me. I made a shortcut outside steam and I get an error saying Method Verify Access Failed.