My 1st pc, looking for feedback

jdb1917

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2012
i am primarily a console player, but with how long its taking for the next gen i decided i would switch to pc. i just want to know if this pc looks alright and if im am missing anything important.

thanks in advance
jake

Case: * Azza Hurrican 2000 Full Tower Gaming Case with 4 Hot Swappable HDD Cage & (4) 230MM Fans
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified)
Cooling Fan: Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant
Motherboard: (3-Way SLI Support) ASUS P9X79 Deluxe Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX w/ UEFI
Memory: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR3/1333MHz Quad Channel Memory [+688] (Corsair or Major Brand)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+448] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
Power Supply Upgrade: 800 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
Data Hard Drive: 60GB Corsair Force Series SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 550MB/s Read & 510MB/s Write [+95] (Single Drive)
Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
3D Vision Glasses: None
Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)

Solution
Just a few things of note:
1) There is nearly no performance difference between the quad core LGA2011 chip and the Quad core LGA1155 chips, and the newer Ivy bridge 1155 boards tend to have better features and be much less expensive. So if going quad core then stick with LGA1155, if going 6+ core then go with LGA2011

2) 64GB of ram is overkill for all but the highest end server and production applications. If you were doing big studio projects then you will need that 64GB, but as a student, doing light to moderate workloads then I think it would be safe to start with 16GB (4x4GB) to begin with, and if you find you are running out of ram you can always upgrade to 32GB later (On an LGA2011 platform just buy 4 more sticks, 1155 platform...
There are some things that you can change to save money and then maybe put it in another area of the Pc.
For one thing there is absolutely no need for 64gb of ram and there would be a complete waste of about 50gb of it that would never ever be used. The absolute most you should get would be 16gb and that's if your doing some video rendering or video editing. For gaming you won't need more than 8gb.
The video card can be changed to a GTX 670 and you will get almost the same game performance as you would with the GTX 680 but for $100 less.
The power supply would only be 750w or 800w if you were planning on adding another video card later on.

Here's the part where you can add some of the cash you have saved.
The cpu would be better with a 3770k,

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
$359.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

The SSD would be better to get a larger one so your not concerned about space,

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$274.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147164

The motherboard can be changed to a Z77 chipset motherboard and the ram to a dual channel set and the cpu cooler can be the same or a lesser fan based cooler because the new Ivy Bridge cpu's have a TDP of 77w and that means less heat to dissapate.
So go back into the site you were building this Pc and make those changes and see what you come up with.

jdb1917

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2012
thanks for the feedback, the pc has a dual purpose as i am enrolling into a 3d animation course in college this next year and i know ram is important, is 32gig really too much? as for the rest, it sounds good thanks again.

If you are going to be using the Pc for 3D animation then the more ram the better and if you were to have a chance to ask someone who does 3D animation how much ram you would need then you could get the right amount. I don't do 3D animation but I would say that 32gb or even 64gb would be good and it wouls be a good thing to know what to get.
You would also want that program to be installed on to the SSD drive so a 256gb drive would be a good choice.

Ominousforces

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Don't use a "standard power supply" what you'll get is an "Extreamgear" power supply witch have a high failure rate compared to other well known and trusted brands. In my opinion go with a corsair, Cooler Master or equivalent.

Just a few things of note:
1) There is nearly no performance difference between the quad core LGA2011 chip and the Quad core LGA1155 chips, and the newer Ivy bridge 1155 boards tend to have better features and be much less expensive. So if going quad core then stick with LGA1155, if going 6+ core then go with LGA2011

2) 64GB of ram is overkill for all but the highest end server and production applications. If you were doing big studio projects then you will need that 64GB, but as a student, doing light to moderate workloads then I think it would be safe to start with 16GB (4x4GB) to begin with, and if you find you are running out of ram you can always upgrade to 32GB later (On an LGA2011 platform just buy 4 more sticks, 1155 platform you will need to buy 4x8GB sticks to replace what you have) with no problem. The likelyhood of needing those expensive high density 8GB sticks is nearly nill, and if you are using an SSD then the pain of virtural memory is not going to be nearly as crippling as it would be on a traditional HDD.

3) For gaming and video editing there is not a huge jump between 1333 and 1600, but for 3D work you may want the faster 1600 ram, and then OC it a little.

4) I love nVidia, but for production work AMD has the crown this time around. Go with a high end (or pair of high end) AMD GPU, unless your software specifically has CUDA support. If building this mostly for gaming then stick with a pair of GTX670s. For 3D production work the more GPU memory the better, so look for some with extra ram on them.

5) Get a quality power supply in the 700W range. Especially if pushing your equipment you want to rest assured that your PSU isnt going to kill everything

6) Get a minimum 120/128GB SSD, and preferably a 240-256GB SSD. You want it large enough to have your programs and small files on it (bulk files can move over to the HDD). Remember that virtural memory takes up disc space equal to your system memory, and while you can turn virtural memory off on a normal system, you will not want to do it on a production rig. In short; a 60GB SSD is not large enough to hold the virtural memory for a system with 64GB of ram in it... much less other stuff like the OS, programs, and some files. Also, SSDs are funny things. The speed rating is for the series, not the individual drives, and the larger they are, the more memory modules they have, and the more parallel they get in nature, which gives a speed boost. So if you want the full speed out of an SSD you typically need to get something in teh 240+GB range.

7) consider a blue ray drive? If you have a PS3 then just use that, but if not, then a blue ray drive can be a nice addition to a PC if you have a decent screen on it.

8) Win7 Home is limited to 16GB of ram, if you intend to put in more memory then you will have to get Win7Pro or Ultimate.

9) Didn't see a monitor on there, but for gaming a normal TN monitor is just fine. However, if doing anything that needs to be color accurate, or if you like quality visuals, then you will want to be sure to get an IPS monitor.

Best of luck!

Solution