Changing XP's Start button?

After years on good 'ol Classic, I'm trying the XP style. I could
conceivably grow to love rounded corners and graded colour fills. But
that enormous green START button is too much!

Is there a tweak or hack to shrink it, and silverize it to match my
colour scheme please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
7 answers Last reply

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >After years on good 'ol Classic, I'm trying the XP style. I could
    >conceivably grow to love rounded corners and graded colour fills. But
    >that enormous green START button is too much!

    >Is there a tweak or hack to shrink it, and silverize it to match my
    >colour scheme please?

    If you want to change the start button, then a program that changes
    the start button would seem reasonable.

    Such a program is "mySB". Info at
    http://www.sayesoft.com.au/mySB/info.htm

    You can edit/create the graphics to make the start button's appearance
    be exactly as you want it. End of problem.

    Hi Terry,

    I'm in a good mood so I'll do ya a real big favour;)

    STEP1: Search for a patched version of "uxtheme.dll" There are two versions
    depending on whether you have patched up to SP1 or beyond SP2.

    STEP2: Make a backup of the originals, and then replace "uxtheme.dll" in
    C:/Windows/System32/ AND C:/Windows/ServicePackFiles/i386/

    STEP3: Visit wincustomize.com and find a THEME that you like and download
    it.

    STEP4: Unzip that theme to C:/Windows/Resources/Themes

    STEP5: Find the file SOMETHING.msstyles and click it. This will pop up your
    appearance properties pane.

    STEP6: Using the advanced tab make any adjustments to sizes and fonts you
    require.

    STEP7: Hit the APPLY button and the theme will be activated.

    STEP8: From within the properties pane go to the one marked "Themes" and
    save it out under any name you fancy so that you can recall it without
    having to delve into the windows dir.

    STEP9: Come back here and let me know I'm the Daddy ;)

    Have Fun!

    Andy

    Fred <fred.gv@cox.net> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>After years on good 'ol Classic, I'm trying the XP style. I could
    >>conceivably grow to love rounded corners and graded colour fills. But
    >>that enormous green START button is too much!
    >
    >>Is there a tweak or hack to shrink it, and silverize it to match my
    >>colour scheme please?
    >

    >If you want to change the start button, then a program that changes
    >the start button would seem reasonable.
    >
    >Such a program is "mySB". Info at
    >http://www.sayesoft.com.au/mySB/info.htm
    >
    >You can edit/create the graphics to make the start button's appearance
    >be exactly as you want it. End of problem.

    Andrew, Fred: Thanks both. I'll first try the easy-sounding option,
    and if that doesn't cut the mustard, roll up my sleeves and tackle
    other method.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Fred <fred.gv@cox.net> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>After years on good 'ol Classic, I'm trying the XP style. I could
    >>conceivably grow to love rounded corners and graded colour fills. But
    >>that enormous green START button is too much!
    >
    >>Is there a tweak or hack to shrink it, and silverize it to match my
    >>colour scheme please?
    >

    >If you want to change the start button, then a program that changes
    >the start button would seem reasonable.
    >
    >Such a program is "mySB". Info at
    >http://www.sayesoft.com.au/mySB/info.htm
    >
    >You can edit/create the graphics to make the start button's appearance
    >be exactly as you want it. End of problem.

    Thanks for the pointer, Fred. Installed that and now have Start button
    a fraction of the size of the standard version, and not a garish
    green! For time being I'll settle for the one reasonable free option,
    'small computer', but I might even fork out USD9.95 sometime and make
    my own!

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    For fun, try the first listed:

    Change the Start Button Text - For Fun! (Line 111) Right hand side

    Change the Start Button Text

    Happy Mardi Gras,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:

    >For fun, try the first listed:
    >
    >Change the Start Button Text - For Fun! (Line 111) Right hand side
    >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    >
    >Change the Start Button Text
    >http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/791/

    Thanks Kelly, I've downloaded that. But right now, after running MySB
    and choosing the 'small computer' icon, I have a nice minimalist Stat
    Button with no text. So I'm not sure what the efects of running your
    program would be?!

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Most welcome, Terry. This first program is fool proof. Have no clue how
    this houses with MySB. Good luck.