PC Freeze with new Sound Card - ASUS XONAR DGX

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Asus
  • Components
Last response: in Components
October 16, 2012 8:02:44 AM

Hi guys,

I brought a new Sound Card two days ago, ASUS Xonar DGX. Previously, I was using onboard sound with M/B MSI 790FX-GD70.

So I inserted the Sound Card in and rebooted my PC. It switched on fine and detected the sound card. I proceeded to install the official driver provided in the CD for the same. Now, after I installed the driver, when it asked me to reboot my PC, I click ok and as it was about to shut down, the PC froze.

I did a hard reset and the PC booted. However, as soon as it reached my login screen, it froze again. I shut down the PC, removed the card and started it again. This time, it booted without any issues. I plugged the card back in and again, the same problem.

I thought it could be a driver conflict or something. I was about to do a format of the PC and so, did it. However, with a fresh install, once I installed the driver (this time, new ones downloaded from asus site), the same issue surfaced.

There were a couple of times when I did manage to proceed with my login. However, as soon as I clicked on the volume meter, the PC froze. Another time, i didn't click on the volume meter, but went to youtube straight away to play a video. It froze. From this, I felt that the freezing had something to do with audio outputs.

I removed the device and switched on again. I checked the event log for any error. There was none. No entry even remotely mentioning the sound card.

At the moment, I'm at a loss as to what to do. I tried to install Uni Xonar drivers instead of the ones given from ASUS. No luck.

I even returned the sound card I got stating hardware problem and got a new one. But the issue is still present. Oh, and I tried it out on the PCIE 16x slots as well. Still, nothing.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ashwin

More about : freeze sound card asus xonar dgx

October 16, 2012 10:34:02 AM

What OS do you have and which driver version you installed?
m
l
October 16, 2012 10:40:57 AM

OS is Win 7 64 bit. The driver version is PCI-DGX-120312-7.12.8.1800
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 16, 2012 12:38:23 PM

Odd. Install the latest driver from ASUS's website; might be an out of data driver or something...
m
l
October 16, 2012 8:20:24 PM

crackwhiz said:
OS is Win 7 64 bit. The driver version is PCI-DGX-120312-7.12.8.1800

So you tried the latest driver and it fails.
You mentioned you tried xonar unified drivers (1.63?) and they failed too.
I think this points to some kind of hardware interrupt request problem. What is your mainboard?

E:
Oh, you wrote it is MSI 790FX-GD70, somehow I missed it.
I will try to come up with a solution shortly.

E2:
Ok, you can't manually assign IRQ, so I believe, the only option that can help is to update the bios to the newest version. Before that, make sure that integrated audio is disabled in bios (integrated peripherals section), maybe this will help, but I doubt it.
To verify IRQ conflict, if you can make it without pc freezing, go to device manager, right click on xonar card, select properties and go to resources tab. There you will find conflicting devices list.
m
l
October 18, 2012 3:20:12 AM

Bejusek said:
So you tried the latest driver and it fails.
You mentioned you tried xonar unified drivers (1.63?) and they failed too.
I think this points to some kind of hardware interrupt request problem. What is your mainboard?

E:
Oh, you wrote it is MSI 790FX-GD70, somehow I missed it.
I will try to come up with a solution shortly.

E2:
Ok, you can't manually assign IRQ, so I believe, the only option that can help is to update the bios to the newest version. Before that, make sure that integrated audio is disabled in bios (integrated peripherals section), maybe this will help, but I doubt it.
To verify IRQ conflict, if you can make it without pc freezing, go to device manager, right click on xonar card, select properties and go to resources tab. There you will find conflicting devices list.

Thanks, will try this and let you know.
m
l
!