mrabduz

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
hello everyone.

i bought the intel core i52450m processor which clearly says that it has a maximum clock speed of 2.5ghz.
however when i use the turbo boost monitor, and sometimes when it boosts alot around halfway i see that mark written as 2.5ghz. this i cannot understand, because what i thought the turbo boost should start from 2.5 ghz and then go to 3.1 ghz. please help me out. thanking you guys in advance :)

mrabduz

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
thanks for your reply but i couldnt understand the point. i mean the base frequency should be 2.5 ghz all the time and when the turbo boost is needed, it should start from 2.5 ghz to 3.1 ghz. :??:

Sonophos

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Advertisers and Merchandisers word things very carefully to tell the truth in the best light possible and they aren't techies.

If they hear that the turbo speed of the processor is 2.5GHz then they will see that as the Maximum for the processor, NOT the BASE speed because Maximum speed 1.9GHz does not sound as good.

If you think this is wrong then I would check your BIOS has picked up the processor settings correctly.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Number of things to Turbo Boost.

1) it works within a thermal margin. So your base clock (2.5) is your guaranteed clock rate before say, 90*C, after which the CPU throttles itself back to preserve its integrity. But turbo boost operates on tighter margins, so you may not have the thermal headroom available to enter turbo mode.

2) Core load: if you're running a single threaded application and you're with thermal limits, you'll see a higher boost than if you have a load on both cores.

Use a utility like CoreTemp to check your clocks and temps (haven't used turbo boost monitor, i have a Core 2 Quad), maybe you'll get a clue as to what's happening.

Also, like others have said, check your bios settings, it could be disabled there too.

And no, Intel is fine...

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
From http://ark.intel.com/products/53452/Intel-Core-i5-2450M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz
Processor Number i5-2450M
Clock Speed 2.5 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency 3.1 GHz

So check to see if it's disabled. If you don't have any options in preboot (BIOS/UEFI whatever they call it), then maybe it's disabled completely due to laptop design (although it would be strange to go that route). Anyways, I would not call Intel a fraud, but maybe the laptop OEM if there is no option.
What laptop is it?

PS: please bear in mind that 3.1 should be achievable only when 1 CPU is 100%. That is the difference between turbo boost and regular power saving (total load vs. individual load). So with all 4 CPUs at 100% is unlikely to go over 2.5GHz.

proffet

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

that

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Welcome to the world of mobile CPUs. Your median average will be around 2.5GHz, because when the CPU isn't being fully utilized or if the temperature is too high and it needs to cool, it will throttle down *a lot.*

In that rare circumstance that you're only using one singular logical core AND the thermal threshold hasn't been exceeded for turbo mode, then yes, it will clock itself up to no higher than 3.1GHz. That also means that anything between 2.5GHz and 3.1GHz is acceptable, depending on the CPU load. If it determines that it only needs or can only give 2.55GHz then that's all you'll get.

The best way to equate it is NOS (nitrous oxide) for your CPU, and you don't control when it's injected.

jemm

Distinguished
Your processor have 3 techs you have to understand: Turbo Boost, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep and Idle States.

When these techs are enabled in the Bios, the processor frequency will vary according to its need. It means that the speed will change based on what you are doing.

The Clock Speed is 2.5 GHz, and it goes up to 3.1 GHz with Turbo Frequency, but it doesn´t mean it will be 2.5 or 3.1 GHz -- it will vary between these frequency, so it can be 2.7, 2.9, 3.0 GHz, depend upon the tasks that are executed.

With Enhanced Intel SpeedStep and Idle States (C-states) the CPU (processor) even go lower than 2.5 GHz, if it is in idle (no usage). So, sometimes you may see it at 1.6 GHz, which is normal, as the techs are saving energy.

On the other hand if the above doesn´t sound good to you, then you can just disable all these techs in the Bios. In so doing your processor will stick at 2.5 GHz.

From Intel:

Intel Turbo Boost Technology dynamically increases the processor's frequency as needed by taking advantage of thermal and power headroom to give you a burst of speed when you need it, and increased energy efficiency when you don’t.

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology is an advanced means of enabling high performance while meeting the power-conservation needs of mobile systems. Conventional Intel SpeedStep® Technology switches both voltage and frequency in tandem between high and low levels in response to processor load. Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology builds upon that architecture using design strategies such as Separation between Voltage and Frequency Changes, and Clock Partitioning and Recovery.

Idle States (C-states) are used to save power when the processor is idle. C0 is the operational state, meaning that the CPU is doing useful work. C1 is the first idle state, C2 the second, and so on, where more power saving actions are taken for numerically higher C-states.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
This analogy assumes the OP is competent and therefore assumes that his issues are not the result of user error/mis-understanding of the technology he is criticizing.

"Dole Fruit Company a fraud?

I bought a single Apple marketed by Dole Fruit Company as being a delicious Apple. When I took a bite it tasted foul. Is the Entire Dole Fruit Company a Fraud?"

If you cannot see the logical fallacy here may your Deity of choice save your soul.

mrabduz

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
first of all i would like to thank all of you for answering the question.

1)Now what i understand is turbo is dependant on core load and temperature, obviously i wont get 3.1 ghz if i have all 4 cores loaded to maximum 100%.

2)the clock frequency is variable and goes between 2.5 to 3.1 etc etc

3) i play FS2004 which uses all cores so i dont expect any turbo boost but atleast should get 2.5 ghz from all of them

4) there is where my problem lies, the game lags alot and my clock speed remain below 2.5ghz i dont know may be 2.0 or whatever what i know is that it doesnt go to 2.5ghz which it should .

5)my turbo boost shows energy saver mode. my laptop is a ACER 5755G. is there a way to run it constantly at 2.5ghz so that i run the game smoothly

6) there are no options in the BIOS or what so ever. please guys help me out :(

mrabduz

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012

thank you for your answer :)

:whistle:

InvalidError

Titan

Use a hardware monitoring program like CPUID HW Monitor to see what your CPU temperatures are. If the CPU is overheating, it will throttle itself to avoid self-destruction and you will not get its rated speeds.

Another possibility could be that your laptop does not fully support the CPU you put in it and is therefore unable to make it run at its rated speeds.

mrabduz

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012

From what i know i am playing FS2004 a flight simulator, its not at all GPU dependant

i5 2450 2.5-3.1 ghz

nvidia gt630m 2gb

acer5755g

mrabduz

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012

hello and thanks for your reply. i did what you told me and there is CERTAINLY a significant change however i am gonna test it a bit more. by far your answer was the most helpfull Cheers :)

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012

One twist I'd add is this is also likely user error.

"When I took a bite out of my pineapple, the skin was all sharp and pointy"

Now to be helpful.
If you need to verify single-threaded speed, not only do you need to be sure that you are running single threaded, you need to be sure the process isn't getting moved around to the different cores.
So if you are testing (like using prime95), use Task Manager to set the affinity of your single threaded process to stay on a particular core before checking the speed.