Connecting power surge protector to a ups

manubojappa

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Hi everyone, i have an APC Back UPS RS 550VA. I have connected the UPS to the AC Outlet and i have connected a Belkin surge protector to the UPS and i have connected all the components to the surge protector, is this bad? Because many people say that connecting a surge protector to an UPS is a bad idea since the UPS already regulates any fluctuations.
Thank You.

Solution
The reason why connecting surge suppressors to an UPS is not recommended is because depending on how tight the surge suppressor's tolerances are and how clean the UPS' output is, the suppressor may end up clipping the UPS' output which would waste battery power and possibly overload the UPS.

That said, most quality UPSes are designed to stay well within tolerances of most equipments so connecting a surge suppressor to an UPS will most likely work.

InvalidError

Titan
The reason why connecting surge suppressors to an UPS is not recommended is because depending on how tight the surge suppressor's tolerances are and how clean the UPS' output is, the suppressor may end up clipping the UPS' output which would waste battery power and possibly overload the UPS.

That said, most quality UPSes are designed to stay well within tolerances of most equipments so connecting a surge suppressor to an UPS will most likely work.

Solution

With a ups, there is no need for a surge protector. APC makes a very good ups which offers surge protection to components connected to it.

With a UPS you should probably not connect all of your gear to battery backup.
Example might be a printer which is perhaps not needed in the case of a power failure.
If you run out of non battery outlets on the UPS, then go ahead and use the surge protector for the non ups connections.