• Radeon
  • Dual Monitors
  • Resolution
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Displays
April 19, 2012 12:43:44 AM

Ok, so this may not be the right area for this but I'll ask anyway.

I have an AMD Radeon 6970 graphics card and 2x27" dell monitors. Although sadly my secondary monitor isn't maxed resolution.

I did some digging and found out that there are multiple ports at the back(d'oh, LOL!)

I'm wondering what add-on do I need to revert it from what it is already(No clue ... =/) to Dual-link DVI with HDCP. I assume it's a HDMI port that the secondary one is.

Sorry I'm pretty unintelligent when it comes to computers, I love them, but I'm pretty bad ... =/ sorry again and thanks!

Edit - After testing one monitor, I got a native resolution of 2560x1440 and soon after reverting back to one monitor, I had an AMD display driver crash. O_O;

More about : dual monitors resolution

April 19, 2012 3:35:02 AM

I read that I may need a DisplayPort DVI Adapter since the secondary port may not be the same as the other one. Would still like advice/correction on the matter though ^_^
m
l
April 19, 2012 4:08:29 AM

You need a "mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable" (mini-DisplayPort for 6970, DisplayPort for Dell screen)or Dual-link DVI cable for each screen to support those resolutions.

Does that answer your question?
m
l
Related resources
April 19, 2012 5:01:19 AM

gmkos said:
You need a "mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable" (mini-DisplayPort for 6970, DisplayPort for Dell screen)or Dual-link DVI cable for each screen to support those resolutions.

Does that answer your question?

Would it be possible to max out both of the 27" monitos with two Dual-link DVI cables? I'm rather clueless, not the sharpest tool in the shed >.< usually people write it out for me and I do it myself xD
m
l
April 19, 2012 5:11:17 AM

Trixi said:
Would it be possible to max out both of the 27" monitos with two Dual-link DVI cables? I'm rather clueless, not the sharpest tool in the shed >.< usually people write it out for me and I do it myself xD

Unfortunately, no. This is a limitation by the DVI interfaces on the 6970, one is dual-link and the other is single-link. You'll need to use at least one of the mini-DisplayPort interfaces to get both screens to run that high resolution.
m
l
April 19, 2012 5:15:44 AM

gmkos said:
Unfortunately, no. This is a limitation by the DVI interfaces on the 6970, one is dual-link and the other is single-link. You'll need to use at least one of the mini-DisplayPort interfaces to get both screens to run that high resolution.

But it's possible to max them both?
m
l

Best solution

April 19, 2012 5:17:50 AM

Trixi said:
But it's possible to max them both?

Yes.

This is my attempt at a text diagram, if it helps:

Screen 1: 6970 Dual-link interface -> Dual-link DVI cable -> Screen 1's dual-link DVI interface

Screen 2: 6970 mini-Displayport interface -> mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable -> Screen 2's DisplayPort interface

or

Screen 2: 6970 mini-Displayport interface -> mini-DisplayPort to Dual-link DVI adapter -> Dual-link DVI cable --> Screen 2's Dual-link DVI interface
April 19, 2012 5:22:14 AM

gmkos said:
Yes.

This is my attempt at a text diagram, if it helps:

Screen 1: 6970 Dual-link interface -> Dual-link DVI cable -> Screen 1's dual-link DVI interface

Screen 2: 6970 mini-Displayport interface -> mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable -> Screen 2's DisplayPort interface

or

Screen 2: 6970 mini-Displayport interface -> mini-DisplayPort to Dual-link DVI adapter -> Dual-link DVI cable --> Screen 2's Dual-link DVI interface

So Screen 1 is pretty much the normal method.

And Screen 2 I will need a mini-Displayport and that's about it? would you recommend one?
m
l
April 19, 2012 5:38:18 AM

I seem like an idiot,

I see bigger connection goes into the monitor, the smaller one connets into the back of the case, and the rest is like screen 1?

I don't see how it connects up to the DVI cable? or does it not?

And I've heard there are multiple DVI- slots, is it possible the AMD 6970 isn't compatible?
m
l
April 19, 2012 5:59:47 AM

Exactly, your monitor has a standard-size DisplayPort interface and your video card in the back of your computer has a mini version of the same interface.

The second monitor won't use DVI at all, that cable will do the same job as a dual-link DVI cable. You are simply using a different type of cable for the same job.

One of the DVI interfaces on the 6970 only supports single-link DVI, its slower than dual-link,which means it is not capable of transferring the data at a rate which your screen's native resolution requires. This is why you need to use the mini-DisplayPort. If you wanted to add a 3rd screen at this resolution, you would need to use another mini-display port to displayport cable.
m
l
April 19, 2012 6:05:29 AM

gmkos said:
Exactly, your monitor has a standard-size DisplayPort interface and your video card in the back of your computer has a mini version of the same interface.

The second monitor won't use DVI at all, that cable will do the same job as a dual-link DVI cable. You are simply using a different type of cable for the same job.

One of the DVI interfaces on the 6970 only supports single-link DVI, its slower than dual-link,which means it is not capable of transferring the data at a rate which your screen's native resolution requires. This is why you need to use the mini-DisplayPort.

So a mini-DisplayPort acts as a more superior DVI cable in its unique job. Amazing.

So I will only need the mini-DisplayPort to fix this problem, that is relieving. The native resolution for my single monitor is 2560x1440, together they cap eachother to 1650x1050 if I remember. I was getting to the opinion 2560x1440 cannot be matched together with eachother.

Thank you!
m
l
April 20, 2012 12:55:18 AM

Best answer selected by Trixi.
m
l