Sign in with
Your question

Switched 6pin +2 PCI-E with video card 8pin

Last response: in Systems
June 15, 2012 5:39:15 AM

Okay, so i did something extraordinarily dumb helping a friend build a computer for his first time, and I need help trying to figure out whats wrong.

It was late, and I stupidly plugged in the 8 pin connector from the power supply that is supposed to go to the video card into the plug where the 6 pin + 2 plug is supposed to go. I had always been told that mixing these up would result in an inability to even plug it in because of different plug shapes. Turns out that with this particular motherboard that is not the case and it plugs right in with no resistance at all.

Needless to say, hit power button, commence burning smell, and a red LED near where the 6+2 plug goes (or potentially something frying on MOBO and not an LED at all).

I had the video card plugged in to the PCI slot, but didn't realize it was one that also required the additional power, so obviously there was no additional power supplied to the video card except what was directly available through the pci. .

I know that in order to get to the bottom of this I need to just change parts out very methodically until I figure out what (and how much) fried. What I am asking for is help if this type of thing is likely to result in any specific component frying so that I can start there? My thoughts are, in this order, power supply, motherboard, CPU, GPU. Does that sound correct?

PS: I feel like such a knuckle head right now!!!!!
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2012 12:46:12 PM

that sounds about correct. did you jam a 6pin plug into a 8 pin header? if you plugged a 8pin into a 6pin header, then somethin is gonna be fried
m
l
June 15, 2012 1:11:17 PM

Well, the motherboard has an 8 pin female jack where the PCI-E (4 pin on older systems, 6 pin + 2 newer) usually goes. The GPU has an 8 pin plug from the power supply. Not thinking i took the 8 pin that is supposed to go to the video card into this jack on the motherboard.

m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2012 1:26:59 PM

embarassed said:
Well, the motherboard has an 8 pin female jack where the PCI-E (4 pin on older systems, 6 pin + 2 newer) usually goes. The GPU has an 8 pin plug from the power supply. Not thinking i took the 8 pin that is supposed to go to the video card into this jack on the motherboard.

No offence, but you probably shouldn't be wiring computers
PCIe power does not connect to the motherboard, it connects to the graphics card, wether 6 pin , 6+2 pin or 8 pin
The motherboard you describe requires an 8 pin EPS connector ( that older 4 pin is called ATX12v )
An 8 pin PCIe connector is configured in a way that prevents it from being connected to an EPS header unless undue force is used
Doesn't help that you don't mention the components being used
m
l
June 15, 2012 2:33:37 PM

Quote:
No offence, but you probably shouldn't be wiring computers

No offense, but you probably shouldn't be snarky to someone that already knows the did something stupid. As to not building computers, I've been building my own for around 12 years now, without a problem until this one. On top of that, i fried my buddy's components (which i'm replacing at my own cost), not yours, so keep your snark to yourself.

I apologize for not explaining myself clearly.

And yes, you're right, an 8pin PCIe connector is configured in such a way that it prevents it from being connected to the motherboard without undue force, except that in this particular case it doesnt... from OP:

Quote:
Turns out that with this particular motherboard that is not the case and it plugs right in with no resistance at all.

Which is why I'm so frustrated with myself, because it was late, I was in a hurry, and instead of paying attention, i plugged it in figuring that the jack would prevent me from making a mistake.

I didn't post the components for reasons:

1) I don't have them in front right of me right now nor memorized off the top of my head.

2) It doesn't really matter. Something is fried, and i'm going to have to change things out 1 at a time so that I can test each component regardless, especially since its highly likely I fried more than one thing.

What I was asking for in the original post is if anyone knew the general order that things would be likely to fry from such a screw up so that I might have a better place to start when I get home this evening. If you would like to make suggestions on that front, i would be greatly appreciative. If you would like to kick me in the ribs for something I'm already kicking myself over, kindly stay out of the thread.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2012 2:49:21 PM

I'd say MB -> CPU and/or PSU

PSU is easy to check in another PC.
If you have compatible mainboard check CPU there.
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
June 15, 2012 4:07:18 PM

test the psu then try the graphic card in another system to see if it still work and at last with another psu try to boot the motherboard
m
l
!