CPU Overheating when playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Et0c

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Hi, I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me seeing as I've tried everything and had no success.

When I launch a game (Borderlands 2 or Dishonored) my CPU temp immediately rises from +- 44 C (system idle temp) to high 70s-80s and after playing for literally a few minutes it goes to high 90s up to and even 99. This is worrying because I don't want to damage my system and I've even had my computer shutdown automatically due to the ridiculous temperatures. I have also received blue screen errors which I think is also related to my CPU over heating.

Now I've done some research to see what could cause this and I've been through all of the basic solutions. I've checked for dust and cleaned out my PC. I've also removed the heat sink and removed the dust. At one point I was certain it was my Thermal Paste that got old so I cleaned that off and applied a fresh batch but the problem still persists. I'm not sure if I used too much Thermal Paste because I've read that too much could also cause problems.

Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

These are my PC specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz, 2934 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard: MSI (Micro Star) Big Bang-Fuzion
Memory: 8GB DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 PC3-8500, DDR3 (non-ECC)
GPU: GeForce GTX 470
PSU: Q Fan 650W Thermaltake Toughpower

Check to make sure that the HSF is seated well and that it is clean. If you are using the stock cooler reach in and pull each of the twist clips straight up. If any of them are not seated well they will be able to be pull up and that is the cause of your temperatures. This is fairly common with the stock cooler.

Which temperature monitoring program are you using? I have done well with HWMonitor in the past as it seems to give me the best temperatures.

What case are you using? Which processor cooler are you using?

How much paste did you put on there? Too much definitely is a danger. The optimal amount is not that much. If the paste looks like it is going close to the edge of the processor then you probably put too much or put it on unevenly and I would do it over again. The proper amount is not tremendously bigger than a pea, about the size of a lentil.

Et0c

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
I have finally solved the problem thanks to you guys. I'm using the stock cooler so I reapplied my thermal paste and made VERY sure that all the pins were clipped in correctly. Now everything seems to be running fine, CPU temps monitored by RealTemp now shows my temp rising to the 50s and low 60s when gaming. Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS