Sign in with
Your question

First Build; $1000 Video-Editing/Programming

Last response: in Systems
June 15, 2012 6:59:58 AM

I am building a computer for the first time and I'd like some advice on whether the parts I've picked out are sufficient. I haven't purchased any of them yet. I do a lot of video editing and stuff like that as well as some programming, so I wanted a relatively powerful computer. I also want to keep the build no higher than $1000.

Here is a list of my components:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz with integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1333 (PC3 10666)

Hard Drives:
SSD: Crucial M4 2.5" 64GB SATA III Solid State Drive (for system files and applications)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (for everything else)

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Case: I like this one ---> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Monitor: ASUS VS Series 23" 2ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 50,000,000:1

As for the powersupply and optical drive, I'm not sure what I need, so I'd appreciate any suggestions for those two parts. I did the powersupply calculator at http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp and it recommended around 300w.

As I said before, this is my first build so I did a lot of research but I don't know exactly what I'm doing; any advice would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I'll be installing a Linux distro--I'm not sure which one yet--as my operating system
a b B Homebuilt system
June 15, 2012 8:00:06 AM

Just noticed this PSU is same price you can get either one it's up to you although the first one is a little better PSU:CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
.your build looks fine btw good job!
m
l
Related resources
June 15, 2012 8:37:54 AM

Go with the Corsair recommended by bigcyco1.
That case may be a tight fit for your build.
Also, you may want to consider a third party CPU cooler.
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:10:23 PM

Thanks so much, bibcyco1! And shadow71, would the tight fit be a big problem? Should I get a different case? And also is there a particular reason you say I should get the Corsair over the other PSU bigcyco1 recommended?
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:24:47 PM

bigcyco1 said:

OD:ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Bigcyco1, in the specs of that optical drive it says the only operating systems supported are windows 2000 - windows vista but I will be using a Linux system. Does that mean it will not work for me?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 15, 2012 7:30:20 PM

bolverk said:
Bigcyco1, in the specs of that optical drive it says the only operating systems supported are windows 2000 - windows vista but I will be using a Linux system. Does that mean it will not work for me?
No it doesn't mean that i don't know why they say that it's misleading :pfff:  in fact i have Ubuntu linux installed on a separate Partition and i used that very optical drive to install linux from a Ubuntu cd :lol: 
m
l
June 15, 2012 7:33:58 PM

bigcyco1 said:
No it doesn't mean that i don't know why they say that it's misleading :pfff:  in fact i have Ubuntu linux installed on a separate Partition and i used that very optical drive to install linux from a Ubuntu cd :lol: 

Oh okay haha thanks. How do you like Ubuntu? I'm not sure which distro I'm going to use yet. Any recommendations?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 15, 2012 9:32:44 PM

bolverk said:
Oh okay haha thanks. How do you like Ubuntu? I'm not sure which distro I'm going to use yet. Any recommendations?
I like Ubuntu it's pretty good IMO still though i think i like PCLinuxOS and Fedora better. not sure why though :lol:  P.S. Mandriva Linux and Gentoo i think are pretty good as well ;) 
m
l
!