Msi 7850 gray screen during gaming/stress testing

G

I keep getting a grey screen while gaming and stress testing just like the title says, this happened 2 times playing bf3 on ultra, it happened once in skyrim, it also happened shortly after launching msi kombustor, and it happened once in heaven 11. (all of these had all settings maxed). I had the card overclocked to 1050/1450 in CCC for all of these except heaven, when I ran heaven it was at stock speeds (well Msi oc speeds). I'm wondering what the cause of this is and if the card is faulty should I return it? Also while playing skyrim I did have an occasional jump to a black screen but this was shortly after jumping to the desktop to check some stuff so it may be tied to that. Also the overclock was strictly in CCC no voltages were altered. The rest of my system is an 860gx board pci 2 x16 slot and a phenom ii x4 955 oc to 3.6 @1.35 stock voltage Resolution is 1920x1080. I have not tried cleaning all amd drivers and reinstalling yet, I will try it when I get home later tonight, but if this is definitely the signs of a faulty card then I may just go ahead and ship it back.

Solution
As long as it doesn't happen at stock settings it's not a 'bad card' and you won't be able to RMA it.

In my experience the grey screen of death occurs with memory overclocking, although sometimes with core overclocking but often only after artifacts appear.

Generally you want to overclock memory or core first, test, adjust, test, adjust, etc, until stable and then work on the other clock and repeat the process.

Might help you: http://wolframpc.blogspot.ca/2012/01/graphics-card-overclocking.html
G

I just immidiately after posting this thread got the same screen for a split second.
I was also playing skyrim for a few minutes and shortly after starting got a black screen with red vertical lines and had to restart my computer

G

dirver 8.95
catalyst 12.3

This is new, dropped to stock clocks played skyrim last night probably around 30 minutes no problem, played some bf3 no problem, this morning i woke up, ran a benchmark with kombustor, ran heaven, and let the kombustor burn in test sit for ~20 minutes and didnt see a single problem, so i think it was just a bad overclock....is that possible at this point, or should i still ship it off?

G

okay kombustor just caused a blue screen with vertical striped lines at 1050/1450 clocks within 2 minutes, i believe the overclock was the problem

As long as it doesn't happen at stock settings it's not a 'bad card' and you won't be able to RMA it.

In my experience the grey screen of death occurs with memory overclocking, although sometimes with core overclocking but often only after artifacts appear.

Generally you want to overclock memory or core first, test, adjust, test, adjust, etc, until stable and then work on the other clock and repeat the process.

Might help you: http://wolframpc.blogspot.ca/2012/01/graphics-card-overclocking.html

Solution
G

I think i may bump the voltages to around 1.15 (from 1.075) and put the memory clock at 1450 (5800) then just push my core clock up from there, I've seen people getting around 1200 mhz from this, sometimes more, id be happy at 1150 though