Sign in with
Your question

Best upgrade coming from a c2d e6600

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
October 16, 2012 9:14:32 PM

have a c2d e6600 in the family computer and its always maxing out when playing games, sluggish in many regular tasks and honestly, i have never liked it since my grandparents got it. im my personal computer i am running an i5-2500k but that would be overkill for the family computer. the only parts worth salvaging in the whole build are the graphics card i replaced about a year ago and the optical drive, maybe use the HDD for data. its a dell, not much actually is salvageable.

thinking about an A10-5800k or i3-3220. both a have descent processing power and more or less perform similarly, single thread applications i3 pulls ahead, multicore A10 pulls ahead. graphics hands down A10 is better

im heading towards the A10 because when combined with the 6670 from the dell the graphics will increase to a reasonable gaming level [at least i expect they will, its probably more of a matter of driver support]

both support usb 3.0 which is an absolute most

either solution costs exactly the same for every component
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2012 9:19:46 PM

I would get the A10. Better for games using the dual-graphics.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2012 9:25:35 PM

What's the graphics card you said you already have?

m
l
Related resources
a c 188 à CPUs
October 16, 2012 9:29:32 PM

Since this is for the family computer you are unlikely to be playing any major games on it. That means that you are going to be doing internet, media and maybe some school work on it. Without the need for the higher end games the Intel® Core™ i3-3220 is the better processor for the for general use.
m
l
Anonymous
October 16, 2012 9:33:30 PM

twelve25 said:
What's the graphics card you said you already have?

hd 6670
m
l
Anonymous
October 16, 2012 9:48:55 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Since this is for the family computer you are unlikely to be playing any major games on it. That means that you are going to be doing internet, media and maybe some school work on it. Without the need for the higher end games the Intel® Core™ i3-3220 is the better processor for the for general use.

any game that is LAN-able ill put on this computer and my personal gaming rig [which has a gtx 670] which includes borderlands 2, killing floor, bf3 and other games for when i am not home and want to do some gaming
m
l
Anonymous
October 16, 2012 10:00:17 PM

i got about 6 years out of the e6600 and i am hoping to get another 6-8 years out of the next processor
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2012 11:12:12 PM

Sorry to say this, but you will not get 8 years out of any processor. Not even the 3960X will last until 2020. It will probably last 4-5 years before performance dives off the deep end. But, FM2 (the socket) will see future upgrades, so you could always upgrade to the next processor a few years down the line.
m
l
October 16, 2012 11:18:47 PM

Anonymous said:
any game that is LAN-able ill put on this computer and my personal gaming rig [which has a gtx 670] which includes borderlands 2, killing floor, bf3 and other games for when i am not home and want to do some gaming

i5. As soon as you mention BF3 that needs a decent quad to run well. You probably chose the e6600 around the time that was the best midrange CPU and it has lasted you well. Presently the i5 fills the role your e6600 once did. May it last as long.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2012 11:37:28 PM

If you can squeeze an i5 into your budget, get it. If not, I would wait for Piledriver, which launches on the 23rd. The FX-4350 will probably be a decent quad for $130.
m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
October 16, 2012 11:50:30 PM

Anonymous said:
have a c2d e6600 in the family computer and its always maxing out when playing games, sluggish in many regular tasks and honestly, i have never liked it since my grandparents got it. im my personal computer i am running an i5-2500k but that would be overkill for the family computer. the only parts worth salvaging in the whole build are the graphics card i replaced about a year ago and the optical drive, maybe use the HDD for data. its a dell, not much actually is salvageable.

thinking about an A10-5800k or i3-3220. both a have descent processing power and more or less perform similarly, single thread applications i3 pulls ahead, multicore A10 pulls ahead. graphics hands down A10 is better

im heading towards the A10 because when combined with the 6670 from the dell the graphics will increase to a reasonable gaming level [at least i expect they will, its probably more of a matter of driver support]

both support usb 3.0 which is an absolute most

either solution costs exactly the same for every component

The A10-5800K is a much better processor for your usage situation. It is much more balanced than the i3-3220. Intel CPUs are designed with single-threaded performance as the primary focus and then everything else (including price) is much less important. AMD's APUs are decently balanced with decent CPU performance for single- and multithreaded tasks, a decent GPU, and a low price- you stated as much. I think you pretty well answered your own question.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2012 1:15:36 AM

I also have a e6600 and I also have been thinking about upgrading. I don't think that a i3 or A10 is enough of a upgrade to be worth while. You should go for at least a i5-2500k for the improvement to be noticeable. A i3 or A10 will only give a 30% or so improvement in the CPU speed (single threaded) whereas the i5 will give a 70% or so improvement plus two extra cores.

If you can't afford the i5 then I would get the i3 as it is generally faster and although its graphics are much worse you have a external graphics card anyway. Most games don't use more than two cores negating the advantage of the A10
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2012 1:25:01 AM

The A10 is also a quad, plus you can utilize dual-graphics, so it does outperform the i3. He mentioned BF3. BF3 uses all the cores it can.
m
l
Anonymous
October 17, 2012 3:30:26 AM

i have never maxed out my i5-2500k, if its more power than i need i assume that i3 or a10 would do for some gaming and regular tasks
m
l
a c 473 à CPUs
October 17, 2012 4:22:32 AM

I have a 1st generation C2D E6600 in my HTPC. I'll likely install my current Q9450 in it once I upgrade my primary rig to quad core Haswell. But I might upgrade the HTPC to a low power dual core Haswell CPU. I would like to keep power consumption low on my HTPC.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 17, 2012 8:07:25 PM

Anonymous said:
hd 6670

Get a new FM2 A10 or A8 and use dual graphics, then. That should be a good value. Get a K version so you can get a little more life down the road by overclocking it when more performance becomes necessary.

m
l
Anonymous
October 24, 2012 6:35:39 AM

linus tech tips proved how much trinity graphics improve with high speed graphics. well what is the consensus now that AMDs Vishera is out? still go with an i5, maybe wait for Haswell
m
l
!