Power supply for dual scsi system

G

Hi everyone and thanks for any help I might get.
I am currently building a new system consisting of two P3 900 Mhz, 1GB ECC-SDRAM, two 10.000RPM 36.7GB SCSI-3 hard drives and HP9020i SCSI CD-RW. I have not settled for a graphics card yet, but as this machine will be used as server and for development it will NOT be G-Force3 class.

My question is which case and power supply I should get as dedicated server cases are awfull expensive and I am somewhat nucertain as to whether a 300W powersupply is sufficient.

Best regards Thomas Bolding

banesong

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What type of SCSI card are you going to be installing? That will make one heck of a difference. As to total power, you will probably end up needing something more than just a 300W. I would go with at least 400W, if not a dual 300W PS. What Mobo are you using, and does it have dual PS leads?

G

Thanks for the quick reply.
The MoBo is Rioworks PDVIA-LS with integrated SCSI-3 adapter.

Porkloin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
JUST a 300 watt power supply? 300-watters used to be the domain of big, bad-mutha server boxes, and now everyone's proclaiming them today's 185-watters. I still have two hard drives (IDE), a SCSI burner, IDE CD-Rom, Zip, floppy, a couple of USB devices running off of the 235 watt power supply that came with the case.
Did I mention the firewire stuff?
Anyhow, I believe that an UltraStar burns up 30 watts peak upon startup and idles a 7 watts. Multiply that by 3 to cover the other drive and the CD burner and there's 90 watts peak power.
I'd be curious as to the power consumption of the CPU's, fans, video, USB devices, etc.
If you can shell out the cash for the extra wattage, by all means, do it.
But if shelling out that extra cash is preventing you from getting more ram or a bigger monitor or that bitchin' video card you've been ogling for months, don't bother

Sweating like a rancid chunk of pork

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
THESE AMD GUYS ARE NUTS! I am using a PIII 933/BX mobo with 3 SCSI hard drives, 1 IDE hard drive, 1 SCSI CDRW, 1 IDE DVD-ROM, 1 Geforce2 GTS, 3 high-speed fans, 1 floppy, SBLIVE Platinum, modem, and Adaptec 2940UW. On top of that, everything is overclocked, the GTS is overclocked to the max! Power supply? A good quality 250 watt unit. THAT'S RIGHT, ONLY 250W! PIII systems are very efficient compared to Athlons, and require much less power. Heck, I even ran it on a 200W unit for a while, but the power supply got a little warm, so I moved up.
So I say a good quality 300W PS, 350W is a little extreme for your system, but some people like to play it safe to the extreme. Even a cheap 350W unit should work fine.
So, get a decent mid tower with a decent 300W power supply and be happy, no need for the expensive server stuff, or those extreme power suplies the AMD guys recommend.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine