Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Think I fried my CPU: possible upgrade, hints that it's fried?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
October 16, 2012 11:24:08 PM

Hi. This is my motherboard.
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15175/eng/D945GCZ_TechP...

My GPU is a 2.8 GHz.

I've unplugged the fan once before during testings and forgot, like an idiot, to plug it back in. This happened once or twice and the pc automatically shut-off due to CPU overheating.

On windows 7, it says I calculate 2.5 times per second. Out of 7.9, it gives my CPU a 2.5. This is significantly lower than my 2.0 GHz new laptop that I purchased, which calculates 5.9 times per second.

I have a lot of trouble managing lots of things at once, the CPU goes up to 100% when I do.

Other than that, my computer is still really fast and the CPU runs. Is it fried or damaged, you think?

lastly, I want to know what the maximum CPU upgrade I can make for my personal computer is. I will probably ask more questions as we go on but you guys were such a great help when it came to my graphics card that I really can't help but show up here and talk about my computer/socialize/ask questions while I get ready to upgrade and work on it.

Please help/participate and thanks for reading this!

More about : fried cpu upgrade hints fried

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 16, 2012 11:29:06 PM

Hi :) 

The cpu is NOT damaged...otherwise it would NOT start the machine...

All the best Brett :) 
Score
October 16, 2012 11:32:33 PM

I guess old CPUs, even if they have more GHz, don't really mean much in terms of calculations per second then. lol. So my best bet to get a decent processor would be to upgrade my motherboard so I can get a newer processor? Is that a true or false assumption?
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 16, 2012 11:49:21 PM

NathanielH said:
I guess old CPUs, even if they have more GHz, don't really mean much in terms of calculations per second then. lol. So my best bet to get a decent processor would be to upgrade my motherboard so I can get a newer processor? Is that a true or false assumption?

True..as I assume you have an OLD P4 ?

Guessing as your link to your motherboard doesn't work...

Score

Best solution

a c 102 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2012 12:02:35 AM

NathanielH said:
Hi. This is my motherboard.
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15175/eng/D945GCZ_TechP...

My GPU is a 2.8 GHz.

I've unplugged the fan once before during testings and forgot, like an idiot, to plug it back in. This happened once or twice and the pc automatically shut-off due to CPU overheating.

On windows 7, it says I calculate 2.5 times per second. Out of 7.9, it gives my CPU a 2.5. This is significantly lower than my 2.0 GHz new laptop that I purchased, which calculates 5.9 times per second.

I have a lot of trouble managing lots of things at once, the CPU goes up to 100% when I do.

Other than that, my computer is still really fast and the CPU runs. Is it fried or damaged, you think?

The CPU won't let itself roast at stock settings, it will shut down the computer before it gets hot enough to be damaged. Your CPU is fine, if it really did fry itself you would have a computer that just beeps at you when you press the power button or you would have one that locks up and throws off blue screens/kernel panics all of the time.

The reason your computer seems to perform badly is because you have at best a seven year old Pentium D in it. You probably also don't have enough RAM in it unless you upgraded as your computer likely had Windows XP and 1 or 2 GB of RAM in it. Putting 8 GB in there will help things out somewhat but you still have a machine with a 7-8 year old CPU in there.

The Pentium 4/Pentium Ds ran at the same clock speeds as many chips today do but they did a lot less work per GHz. A new 2.0 GHz quad-core AMD A10 or Intel Core i5/i7 will be much, much faster than a 2.8 GHz P4/PD.

Quote:
lastly, I want to know what the maximum CPU upgrade I can make for my personal computer is. I will probably ask more questions as we go on but you guys were such a great help when it came to my graphics card that I really can't help but show up here and talk about my computer/socialize/ask questions while I get ready to upgrade and work on it.

Please help/participate and thanks for reading this!

Here is the list of supported CPUs. The fastest one using modern software would be the Pentium D 960 which is a 3.60 GHz dual-core model. It will be roughly as fast as an ultra low volt laptop CPU with Turbo *disabled.* In other words, very slow and not worth the $50 that people selling them on eBay want.
October 17, 2012 12:10:20 AM

So I probably shouldn't upgrade my CPU for such little performance gain. Wow man, thanks a lot. That was very informational. My motherboard simply doesn't support a good CPU. It maxes @ 4 GB which is what I have. Anything extra is just extra places for the computer to choose from but the motherboard can't possibly utilize all 8 GB. lol.
Will this CPU hurt my gaming experience a little, a bit, or a lot?
Score
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2012 12:13:01 AM

NathanielH said:
So I probably shouldn't upgrade my CPU for such little performance gain. Wow man, thanks a lot. That was very informational. My motherboard simply doesn't support a good CPU. It maxes @ 4 GB which is what I have. Anything extra is just extra places for the computer to choose from but the motherboard can't possibly utilize all 8 GB. lol.

A LOT for newer games...

Score
a c 102 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2012 12:32:56 AM

NathanielH said:

The board actually fits up to 16 GB using four 4 GB DDR2 modules. The comments on the memory support page for that board say that there is an address space limitation of 4 GB, which I gather is probably for people using 32-bit Windows as 32-bit Windows only supports 4 GB of RAM. Also a few of the CPUs on the support list are 32-bit only and won't support more than 4 GB of RAM.* I'd bet that you could probably get 16 GB of RAM to work in that board if you use 4 GB DDR2 modules (which were not available when that page was written in 2006), a 64-bit chip such as any Pentium 4 6xx or a Pentium D, and an OS that can see more than 4 GB of RAM such as any 64-bit OS.

This CPU will significantly limit your gaming, especially if it is a single-core model. The Pentium Ds are slow, the Pentium 4s are absolutely sluggish.

*There are ways to get 32-bit OSes and 32-bit CPUs to see up to 64 GB of RAM (turn on the Physical Address Extensions flag) but 32-bit consumer Windows versions don't allow it. It works (pretty much) in Windows Server and in Linux/BSD however. For example, I am running 6 GB of RAM on a 32-bit Core Duo system by using a PAE-enabled kernel on 32-bit Linux and can see all 6 GB.
Score
October 17, 2012 12:34:10 AM

I'll test that. I bet you're right :( ((((((((((((((((((((((((((
I hate the idea of having to buy a new motherboard.

I'll make a new thread on the weekend asking about motherboards and processors on a budget this weekend and maybe I can address that with 150 bucks. I sure hope so. :( 

I have 32 bit windows ultimate, purchased for XP compatibility mode and backing everything up. I don't plan on windows 8 ANYTIMEEEE soon. Too "appy". I'm pretty sure I have a pentium D. & yes, it's a dual core. Well, I may be able to get a cheap windows 7 64-bit. I really want to, but I might save it for the new motherboard.
Score
October 26, 2012 12:55:46 PM

Best answer selected by NathanielH.
Score
a c 102 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2012 12:33:35 AM

This topic has been closed by MU_Engineer
Score
a c 102 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2012 12:33:50 AM

NathanielH said:
I'll test that. I bet you're right :( ((((((((((((((((((((((((((
I hate the idea of having to buy a new motherboard.

I'll make a new thread on the weekend asking about motherboards and processors on a budget this weekend and maybe I can address that with 150 bucks. I sure hope so. :( 

I have 32 bit windows ultimate, purchased for XP compatibility mode and backing everything up. I don't plan on windows 8 ANYTIMEEEE soon. Too "appy". I'm pretty sure I have a pentium D. & yes, it's a dual core. Well, I may be able to get a cheap windows 7 64-bit. I really want to, but I might save it for the new motherboard.

$150 will likely not be able to buy a new MB/CPU combo that's not complete trash as you will have to buy new RAM. My guess is that you have DDR2 with that Pentium D and all even remotely new boards use DDR3 so you will need to buy DDR3 as well.

I'd suggest budgeting $250-300 and getting one of the new "Vishera" AMD APUs, a halfway decent Gigabyte or ASUS socket FM2 board, and 2x4 GB of DDR3-1600 or 1866. That will be a huge jump up from the Pentium D and actually worth the hassle of moving to a new system with a Windows OS. Tip: You will be best off if you just reinstall everything.
Score
!