Solved

PCIE Help

Will a Graphics card rated for PCIE 2.1 work in a PCIE 2.0 slot?

Obviously there will be performance loss if it does, I'd imagine it would just default to 2.0, kind of like using 2 different speeds of RAM, the faster one defaults to the slower ones speed.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about pcie help
  1. I may be wrong but I think there were some slight problems using 2.1 on a 2.0 slot.
    The performance difference won't be too noticeable
  2. Best answer
    There should be no problem at all, and for your information there is no 2.1 slot at all. There is only 2.0 and 3.0. A 2.1 card will be fine in both 2.0 and 3.0. And I don't think there will be any performance drops.
  3. refillable said:
    There should be no problem at all, and for your information there is no 2.1 slot at all. There is only 2.0 and 3.0. A 2.1 card will be fine in both 2.0 and 3.0. And I don't think there will be any performance drops.

Why would they make a PCIE 2.1 card if there is no PCIE 2.1 slot? Seems like it's just a way to make things confusing.
  4. 2.1 is just a small revision from 2.0, so motherboard manufacturers (and nvidia too!) don't bother with the 2.1 version. I'm sure you're looking to an AMD/ATi card!
  5. Yea, most AMD/ATI cards use 2.1

It works just like it would in 2.0 so there won't be any issues if that what your asking.
  6. Thanks for the help.
  7. Best answer selected by sodacycle.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Performance Graphics