2 Power supplies in one big..!! really big case

G

Thats not nessicary, even the some of the best PC's only need a single 500 watt power supply.

Akrita

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
With 7 harddrives 2 DVD burners, water cooling system and 4 12" blue fans my 550 watt supply works fine :? but I am thinking and ( worry ) about the future upgrate to dual core CPU and crossfire XTXs. 8O 8O
I really like the idea to add one more unit instead replacing my old one, witch is not that old
So... is it possible to have two power supplies synchronized on a single pc :?:

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
No, I don't believe so...
You could sure run your lighting/cooling and water cooling off the second supply. But you'd probably have to get your own custom case made because I don't know too many ATX cases that support two PSUs.

Btw, is cold cathode lighting and such other lighting the thing you do anymore or has that gone out of fashion with the Bartons?

thedrake

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
With 7 harddrives 2 DVD burners, water cooling system and 4 12" blue fans my 550 watt supply works fine :? but I am thinking and ( worry ) about the future upgrate to dual core CPU and crossfire XTXs. 8O 8O
I really like the idea to add one more unit instead replacing my old one, witch is not that old
So... is it possible to have two power supplies synchronized on a single pc :?:

Yes, it is possible. I forget where I read it, probably over at pcperspectives.com, that there is an adapter that will allow the power switch to power on two PSU's. Then you can drive whatever you need to with the 2nd psu - all the fans, whatever.

linux_0

Splendid
You could use 2 PSUs in virtually any case that has room for 2 PSUs.

In fact there are a few cases that will accept more than one PSU but they are hard to find.

You could use a single QUALITY 600+W PSU to handle the load or use one PSU to power the motherboard and another to power all your drives and other devices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811152049

You could buy the 760W triple redundant PSU that's in this 3U rackmount case ;-)

Akrita

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
You could sure run your lighting/cooling and water cooling off the second supply. But you'd probably have to get your own custom case made because I don't know too many ATX cases that support two PSUs.

Btw, is cold cathode lighting and such other lighting the thing you do anymore or has that gone out of fashion with the Bartons?

Cathode light..!! no thanx I am not that fancy.. (just bluelight fans)
BTW the case is Lian-li V2000b and easy can fit 2nd PSU
Thanx 2 u all.. :wink:

xientist

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Having 2 PSU in a case is a hassle as you need to route wires from the 20-pin ATX to start them together. If you are worried that there would not be enough power to your PC get the PC Power & Cooling's Turbo-Cool 1KW. 1000watts of power to boot with. That'll satisfy your need if you have the cash. ahaha!

1GB DDR2 RAM 533MHz
36GB WD Raptor
160GB Maxtor DiamondMax 9
X850XT PE 575MHz/630MHz
Sound Blaster Audigy 2

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Running 2 PSU's (or more for that matter) is very easy, all you need is a copper wire, or go to www.FrozenCPU.com and buy a PSU Bypass Adaptor, it includes a walkthrough on how to setup the 2nd one w/o opening it up. I used to run 2 PSU's and my friend currently runs 2 because he has Dual AMD Opteron CPU's, 10 HDD's, and over 40 Fans. It's a very simply process, only problem is finding a place to mount it, but since you case has a 2nd slot, go for it.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

linux_0

Splendid

Cathode light..!! no thanx I am not that fancy.. (just bluelight fans)
BTW the case is Lian-li V2000b and easy can fit 2nd PSU
Thanx 2 u all.. :wink:

The Lian-Li V2000A/B and V2100A/B will take 2 PSUs but I believe you have to use a dremel to cut out the fan grills in the rear.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112092

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112091

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112076

linux_0

Splendid
Running 2 PSU's (or more for that matter) is very easy, all you need is a copper wire, or go to www.FrozenCPU.com and buy a PSU Bypass Adaptor, it includes a walkthrough on how to setup the 2nd one w/o opening it up. I used to run 2 PSU's and my friend currently runs 2 because he has Dual AMD Opteron CPU's, 10 HDD's, and over 40 Fans. It's a very simply process, only problem is finding a place to mount it, but since you case has a 2nd slot, go for it.

Hey Mad Mod Mike :D

This http://www.frozencpu.com/cab-21.html is for turning your PSU on without a mobo, while that's really useful you wouldn't be able to load share between the two PSUs without a special power distribution bus (I've seen them somewhere - I'll find you a link). Of course I don't know if the OP wants to setup "PROPER" load sharing.

You can accomplish the same thing this adapter does by jumpering pins 14 and 15 on the ATX connector with a paper clip for about 5 pennies [ $0.05 ] ;-)

I do it ALL the time! In fact I have a Real Power RPS-235PS 235W ATX PSU with pins 14 and 15 jumped with a paper clip I cut down to size driving 2 NMB Boxer 4715PL-04T-B30 12VDC 0.49A 120x120x38mm Fans.

I also jumpered a Fortron / FSP Group FSP138-50PF 138W ATX PSU to drive an Advantech PCM-9576FV SBC.

Ya I know I'm crazy :D

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Hey wassup linux.

Yea, I bought 2 of those adaptors (idk why lol) and 1 of them is 2" shorter than the other, which is gay. My friend used a copper wire his dad got at work, and they all work fine. It's a really sweet thing to run 2, like getting a CrossFire of x1900XTX's are gonna take 2, 1 for the cards and 1 for the system, since ATI says it takes up 38A +12v (Dear God).

linux_0

Splendid
Hey wassup linux.

Yea, I bought 2 of those adaptors (idk why lol) and 1 of them is 2" shorter than the other, which is gay. My friend used a copper wire his dad got at work, and they all work fine. It's a really sweet thing to run 2, like getting a CrossFire of x1900XTX's are gonna take 2, 1 for the cards and 1 for the system, since ATI says it takes up 38A +12v (Dear God).

LOL :D

yup anything that is conductive and will stay put works great!

I wonder how many PSUs you need to run nVidia's Quad SLI monster????? lol

Are you in any way related to Mad Mike @ West Coast Customs?

:D

Semper Fi Linux on!

Akrita

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I think cutting the grills, help only if u need to have acces to the second power switch. Airflow doesn't look like a problem.
My target is to power up 2 PSUs with the botton of the CASE (so there is no need to mod my case ).
I wish there was a connection Master and Slave between PSUs or even better an SLi for PSUs :mrgreen: :idea: :idea: 8O or for the ATi funs CF 8)

linux_0

Splendid
I think cutting the grills, help only if u need to have acces to the second power switch. Airflow doesn't look like a problem.
My target is to power up 2 PSUs with the botton of the CASE (so there is no need to mod my case ).
I wish there was a connection Master and Slave between PSUs or even better an SLi for PSUs :mrgreen: :idea: :idea: 8O or for the ATi funs CF 8)

You may have to cut them. You need to feed the AC power cord to the second power supply somehow.

Airflow isn't a problem but getting to the AC plug on the 2nd PSU along with the PSU switch if there is one will probably require a hole.

longbloke

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
The original Coolermaster Stacker (STC-T01) supports two PSU's without the need for any alterations to the case - in fact it even has the necessary vents on the bottom of the case to provide air-flow to the second PSU.

The case also comes with all the necessary cabling to connect and run both PSU's.

thedrake

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
The original Coolermaster Stacker (STC-T01) supports two PSU's without the need for any alterations to the case - in fact it even has the necessary vents on the bottom of the case to provide air-flow to the second PSU.

The case also comes with all the necessary cabling to connect and run both PSU's.

I'm an idiot, I knew I read that somewhere.....DUH, that is the case that I have on my list to buy for the new rig I"m putting together.

I must be in need of a vacation......feel......my.......brain.......crumbling.

Akrita

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

You may have to cut them. You need to feed the AC power cord to the second power supply somehow.

Airflow isn't a problem but getting to the AC plug on the 2nd PSU along with the PSU switch if there is one will probably require a hole.
Dam it I forgot the AC power.. 8O , you are totaly right.
Now about the COOLER MASTER CM Stacker looks really good but the materials are not the best!!! Frond panel is all plastic.
And with the price of SILVERSTONE I can bought a refrigeretor ans stack all my hardware in :D (silent and cool). and u can always have cold drinks next to u.!! 8)
Have a good day all of u fellas :wink:

longbloke

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I can't speak for the Silverstone - but I can say the vents that cover the 11 bays of the Stacker are metal - (admittedly over robust plastic supports that slot into the 5inch bays). These plastic supports are not visible from the outside of the case. The rest of the front panel is aluminium.

TBH the case is one of the best built I have come across, with a nice aluminium skin over the steel chassis to make it both look decent and able to take a few knocks. However it is consequently very heavy, and I mean server heavy.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
He bought 12 120mm and 15 80mm fans and zip-tied them in, he needs the cooling for his massive system (it's a case that is basically 2 cases stuck together, very large). It's also very loud, lol. I just bought 5 Vantec Tornadoes and I have 6 LED Fans in my case now rigged to blow on my mobo, vid cards, ram, and CPU (lol sounds like a bomb ^_^), can't wait for the Vantec's UPS should have 'em here today, they're good at delivery (better than FedEx! :p).