What should I upgrade?

kayvonx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
For good gaming, what should I upgrade? My graphics card? And is it worthwhile to upgrade at all? Thanks in advance.

CPU: i5-2500
Motherboard: MSI PH61A-P35 (MSI Intel H61; LGA 1155)
RAM: 8GB (2x 4GB) Team Elite DDR3 1333
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5750 (1GB)
PSU: XFX 650W

I have two monitors, so a new graphics card would need two DVI outputs. Any suggestions are appreciated. Let me know if I left anything off.

Solution
A faster graphics card will definitely make your games run better. You don't say what resolution you are running, but I will guess 1080p. Also, you don't say what your budget is. I use a 7850 from MSI and its great at 1080p gaming. There are faster cards though if you have the dough to spend. What games you play will affect whether you go with AMD or Nvidia, so a list of those would be good too.
A faster graphics card will definitely make your games run better. You don't say what resolution you are running, but I will guess 1080p. Also, you don't say what your budget is. I use a 7850 from MSI and its great at 1080p gaming. There are faster cards though if you have the dough to spend. What games you play will affect whether you go with AMD or Nvidia, so a list of those would be good too.

Solution

kayvonx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks for your replies. I'm running two monitors at 1280x1024, which isn't terribly high but works well for me. The most demanding game I run is the new XCOM game. I don't usually touch FPS games.

I'll start looking at new graphics cards for Christmas.