system password character

I am trying to change the default system password character used in masking
passwords. The circle used in IE and on the logon screen are horrible. I've
checked in the Control Panel, and have searched through the registry for any
keywords that I would think related to this, and have not found where to
change this. I am using XP Home, SP 2. I would prefer not to use a third
party program to alter this for me, but if there is no other way (I'm even
willing to do a little direct hex editing) then I'll go with that.

I believe the programmer chooses the character when programming the
application - but who knows, this is MS, they "may" have a reg key to allow
changing it?

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"

"tarlos25" <tarlos25(nospam)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to change the default system password character used in
masking
> passwords. The circle used in IE and on the logon screen are horrible.
I've
> checked in the Control Panel, and have searched through the registry for
any
> keywords that I would think related to this, and have not found where to
> change this. I am using XP Home, SP 2. I would prefer not to use a third
> party program to alter this for me, but if there is no other way (I'm even
> willing to do a little direct hex editing) then I'll go with that.

Starts for User32 edit boxes, circles for ComCtl32 edit boxes. One sends a message to the edit box telling it what to use.EM_SetPasswordChar.

http://www.uscricket.com