First budget gaming pc build

evoclue

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
So after doing quite a bit of research I made up this build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2100 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.05 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($33.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.25 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Apevia 500W ATX Power Supply ($23.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ CompUSA)
Total: $476.22
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Since I can't overclock the cpu does it still make sense to get a cpu cooler even though there are 3 fans in the Rosewill challenger case? Also is the power supply wattage too much for this build? Can a power supply even be too much? Finally, is the mobo I chose one you would recommend with this cpu or is it overkill for the cpu/ssd I am getting?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: I will have a 1980x1080 resolution if that's worth mentioning

natedawg72

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
There is nothing wrong with getting a CPU cooler for an i3, but I personally wouldn't do it. It's got a fairly low heat output anyway and I'd only get a cooler if I could overclock it. Your temperatures should be good enough with the stock fan (I'm not saying the stock fan is good... its just good enough).

Wait, you are getting a SSD? I don't see one in your list. Are you talking about that Western Digital Drive? Because that is definitely not a SSD.

Motherboard seems fine to me. It is capable of overclocking, so if you plan to upgrade the CPU in the future that would be nice to have.

Well, a power supply won't ever be "too much", but they do run more efficiently within certain power usage ranges, I think. For example, a 1000 watt PSU in your build wouldn't be running very efficiently because it is designed to take bigger loads (Someone with more experience should correct me here if I'm wrong). Same thing applies if a powersupply is being pushed to its maximum output, it'll loose efficiency.

That power supply looks pretty sketchy to me. It appears to be a pretty old design with bad efficiency by today's standards ("> 70% under max range load"). It'll work, but... I would go with something else, like a 500W Corsair builder series.

At 1080p just about any game should be playable, but you will definitely be turning down settings in the more recent games to keep it running smoothly.

natedawg72

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
It is hard to fit a SSD into a budget build. While they are definitely nice to have, you won't notice a difference in games.

If I were you I would ditch the CPU cooler and get a 500gb or 1TB hard drive. I think you ought to be able to find those around $50 and $80 respectively.