Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

1000 dollar pc build help!

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 15, 2012 4:35:03 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: next week

Budget Range: 800-1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, rendering, school

Parts Not Required: mouse
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: anything but microcenter

Country: USA

Parts Preferences: intel
Overclocking: down the road

SLI or Crossfire: most likley not

Monitor Resolution: hopefully 1080

Additional Comments: could you also recomend a good monitor and keyboard? please and thanks :wahoo: 

More about : 1000 dollar build

June 15, 2012 4:49:37 PM

Best solution

June 15, 2012 5:58:32 PM

Here' a build suggestion that includes everything including OS, Monitor, an possibly SSD. have a look:

CPU & Optical Drive: $226- i5-2500K & Asus(Great CPU)

Motherboard & HDD: $135- Biostar TZ77B & Samsung Spinpoint 500GB(Get this before the shell shocker deal of HDD goes away)

GPU: $250- Sapphire Radeon 7850(Great Car)

PSU & RAM: $95- Corsair CX500 & Corsair Vengeance 8GB(Use promo code to get 10% off, also 500Watt PSU is more than enough for this setup)

Case: $40- NZXT Source 210 (or whatever you like)

OS: $69- Windows 7 Home premium SP1 64bit(In case you don't have)

Monitor: $140- Acer 23" FullHD LED(A big enough monitor)

Total(Excluding Rebates, promos): 944 USD

Rebates: $10

Optional :
SSD: $95- OCZ Agility 120GB (has $20 rebates)

Can't help much on keyboards!! Microsoft, logitech make good ones though. I have been using logitech kbd & mouse for 4 yrs, did not give me problems.
Share
Related resources
June 15, 2012 6:23:13 PM

This is what I would reccommend for a sub 1,000 build.

EXTREMELY COST EFFECTIVE (in my opinion)! am able to get 40-50 fps on starcraft 2 ultra high settings, and 60-100 fps on World of tanks

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15318194

One problem with partpicker is you will usually pay more for the shipping from multiple companies!

A keyboard/ mouse combo i would reccommend is the

CM storm sentinel

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826570016

Microsoft Sidewinder X4

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109191&Tpk=sidewinder%20x4

I know its not a mechanical keyboard, but is one of the best non-mechanical keyboards out there, and will end up paying 100+ for a good mechanical w/ features.


---------TIPS---------
It will be very difficult to build a good Intel build w/ monitor/keyboard/mouse under 1,000 and btw 2fast4thetown may end up bottle necking the GPU with that i7/550, and the 6850/ 6870 is still more cost effective

One problem with partpicker is you will usually pay more for the shipping from multiple retailers!
m
0
l
June 15, 2012 6:40:07 PM

z_4 said:
Here' a build suggestion that includes everything including OS, Monitor, an possibly SSD. have a look:

CPU & Optical Drive: $226- i5-2500K & Asus(Great CPU)

Motherboard & HDD: $135- Biostar TZ77B & Samsung Spinpoint 500GB(Get this before the shell shocker deal of HDD goes away)

GPU: $250- Sapphire Radeon 7850(Great Car)

PSU & RAM: $95- Corsair CX500 & Corsair Vengeance 8GB(Use promo code to get 10% off, also 500Watt PSU is more than enough for this setup)

Case: $40- NZXT Source 210 (or whatever you like)

OS: $69- Windows 7 Home premium SP1 64bit(In case you don't have)

Monitor: $140- Acer 23" FullHD LED(A big enough monitor)

Total(Excluding Rebates, promos): 944 USD

Rebates: $10

Optional :
SSD: $95- OCZ Agility 120GB (has $20 rebates)

Can't help much on keyboards!! Microsoft, logitech make good ones though. I have been using logitech kbd & mouse for 4 yrs, did not give me problems.


Solid build here.
m
0
l
June 15, 2012 7:03:46 PM

Quote:
i am not trying to be arrogant but my build has WAAAAAAY more performance than any of the builds suggested here, speacially for the GTX 670


Agree with this, any build that pairs a 3570k with a GTX 670 is a total winner for gaming.
m
0
l
June 15, 2012 7:09:20 PM

Although he has left off the monitor which would be important if you need that within the $1000 budget.

If you need to save money from that you can though, skip the after market cooler, and tone down the MB and PSU a bit.

You can add a cooler "down the road" when you want to overclock.
m
0
l
June 15, 2012 7:13:41 PM

Anyone trying to go with an Intel build on a budget build is insane. I will put my AMD machines up against any Intel machine when it comes to gaming. Having more cores when it comes to rendering is more important depending on the rendering software being used. I went to school for Multimedia and game design...you need GPU, Cores, and memory for rendering. I build gaming machines on a weekly basis for people and there running brand new games on the highest settings. Here is what i would suggest, this way you can compare apples to oranges and see what is the better deal:

8 Core AMD Processor/Gigabyte 990fx Motherboard Combo: $327.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

16GB Memory: $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair 650 Watt Power Supply: $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Kingston Hyper-x 120GB SSD Harddrive: $139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Western Digital 1tb Black Harddrive: $119.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cooler Master Scout Case: $79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX 6850 Video Card (with 2 free games): $149.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit: $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This build will play crysis, Starcraft, Diablo 3, Dues Ex, and Battlefield 3 on the highest settings on a single 1080 monitor, also this SSD has the fastest read and write speeds forr SSD's let alone in its price range, not to mention most of these components come with a minimum of a 5yr to lifetime warranty. This processor overclocks with aftermarket CPU cooler no problem to 4.2gz thats with a Zalman fan on it. Having the large amount of memory, 8 cores, and a powerful AMD GPU you should be set for gaming, rendering and for the future.
m
0
l
June 15, 2012 7:36:59 PM

Sadly I'm at work so I cant spent to much time looking for parts and I dont want to talk out of my ass about parts so I cant post a full build.

I will recommend that if you are building a computer at $1000.00 USD I would priorities your money this way

Motherboard and CPU are top priority!
Spend most of your money here or get the best you can afford at the time cause this is whats really going to be worth its money later on

Graphics card
You need to get the best bang for you buck card because graphics cards are the fastest thing that gets replaced. new ones come out almost every month and games just get more demanding so a new GPU is required every so often. thus, dont spend to much here but make sure whatever you get is good enough for the games you want!

PSU (Power Supply)
You want your power supply to support everything you need and any future additions. I wouldnt recommend anything less than 500W or more than 650W with this budget. go with a well known company because a cheap power supply is never good idea!

CPU cooler
Here I can actually recommend a product :D  if I were you I would go with the 212Plus seeing how its cheap and does its job very well!

RAM
Makes sure you get at least 4gb and i wouldn't go above 8gb. You should be able to find a good deal on newegg for 8gb (should run you around $45.00) no more than $50.00

the rest of the part such as, case, optical drive, and HDD are not to critical and im sure the people above know their stuff :D 

Sorry I couldnt help more but good luck with your build!
m
0
l
June 15, 2012 9:18:02 PM

Quote:
i loled so hard when i read this..... yeah, good luck running BF3 or crysis at max settings with a 6850 hahahahahahaha maybe the other two crappy games you mentioned are not very resource hungry but i am sure down the road game will requiere more power and thats when my i5 3570k/GTX670 will kick in



This guys a joke, frozonic, do you have any idea how to build pc's, your probably some lone Intel fan boy who sits at home thinking he knows whats hes talking about. BF3, and Crysis will run on high not the highest my bad....thats the build I build my friends and other people who are looking for 1000 dollar build.....runs the games, video and photo editing like a charm. You giving information based on someone who has an unlimited amount to build a rig, AMD is the best bang for the buck HANDS DOWN, and the items you see listed below I would put up any day next to you little I5 and GTX670. When your dealing with rendering of graphics again you need CORES, GPUS, and memory.....Either way its his money my only suggestions were to get this person the best bang for there buck not a stacked processor and nothing to go with it. Rendering farms work with multiple CPU's and GPU's, not crazy fast ones average ones, because you need quality not quality when rendering. So based on the information provided to us the build i said will give them rendering speed, and performance all around and still be within there price range.

But if you want to start comparing rigs.....heres mine:

Amd 8150 8 core processor
Asus Crosshair V Formula
32GB Gskill Ripjaws X Series 2133 memory
2x Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD Raid 0
2x Western Digital 1tb Black 7200rpm Harddrives raid 1
2x Asus 6870's
Corsair 1000 Watt Professional Series power Supply
Cooler Master CMS Stacker Full Case
2x Asus Blu- Ray Burners
3x Samsung 24 Inch LED 1080 Screens
Logitech G19 Keyboard
Logitech G5 Mouse

Mine plays Crysis on eyefinity on ULTRA with about 30fps, and BF3 eyefinity on highest settings around 60 to 80 fps.....So challenge if you will, but you little i5 does far from impress me. You remind me of those people who think there car buffs because they can read a manual, but once they get under the hood have no idea what there talking about. Before insulting people listen to what the people are asking and want because the stuff you suggested wont improve rendering time nor anything else there looking to do compared to my build.
m
0
l
June 15, 2012 9:26:17 PM

ilikegirls said:
Sadly I'm at work so I cant spent to much time looking for parts and I dont want to talk out of my ass about parts so I cant post a full build.

I will recommend that if you are building a computer at $1000.00 USD I would priorities your money this way

Motherboard and CPU are top priority!
Spend most of your money here or get the best you can afford at the time cause this is whats really going to be worth its money later on

Graphics card
You need to get the best bang for you buck card because graphics cards are the fastest thing that gets replaced. new ones come out almost every month and games just get more demanding so a new GPU is required every so often. thus, dont spend to much here but make sure whatever you get is good enough for the games you want!

PSU (Power Supply)
You want your power supply to support everything you need and any future additions. I wouldnt recommend anything less than 500W or more than 650W with this budget. go with a well known company because a cheap power supply is never good idea!

CPU cooler
Here I can actually recommend a product :D  if I were you I would go with the 212Plus seeing how its cheap and does its job very well!

RAM
Makes sure you get at least 4gb and i wouldn't go above 8gb. You should be able to find a good deal on newegg for 8gb (should run you around $45.00) no more than $50.00

the rest of the part such as, case, optical drive, and HDD are not to critical and im sure the people above know their stuff :D 

Sorry I couldnt help more but good luck with your build!


AMD will get you the best bang for your buck, when dealing with rendering you need cores to handle rendering, video cards I personally have 2 6870's and love them, they run everything on the highest settings on a single monitor and 95% of the games on the highest setting and 3 1080 monitors in eyefinity. You could go with a 6870 which would get you solid performance and and GREAT graphics, not to mention with the AMD Architecture the AMD video cards work better with the AMD processors. The other important feature is memory, 8gb for rendering might be a little low, but i wouldnt go any lower then that which is why the build i suggested had 16gb in it. The biggest increase in speed i noticed was adding the SSDs, for strictly performance based the SSD was the best bang for the buck. Ultimately its your money and you need to build what your comfortible with, but the people i build machines for use AMD because there cheaper, nothing utilizes what they can do, and the extra money saved and be put elsewhere into like a second video card, more memory or an SSD.

This is my build:
Amd 8150 8 core processor
Asus Crosshair V Formula
32GB Gskill Ripjaws X Series 2133 memory
2x Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD Raid 0
2x Western Digital 1tb Black 7200rpm Harddrives raid 1
2x Asus 6870's
Corsair 1000 Watt Professional Series power Supply
Cooler Master CMS Stacker Full Case
2x Asus Blu- Ray Burners
3x Samsung 24 Inch LED 1080 Screens
Logitech G19 Keyboard
Logitech G5 Mouse

I wouldnt trade it for anything out right now as i can run everything and anything out without a glitch. Ive built machines that are half or a third of that which run most games at the highest or high setting without problems. So like i said in the end your ordering the parts but my degree is in multi-media and game design, along with another in programming and another in web design, so when it comes to design and graphics i have a good sense of what to build and look for.
m
0
l
June 15, 2012 9:34:09 PM

So you have 4 B.S.'s? What are you, a professional student?

But I agree it seems most people here recommend Intel processors. I have nothing against either, but I don't know much in this field.
m
0
l
June 15, 2012 9:39:32 PM

firstheadstrong said:
So you have 4 B.S.'s? What are you, a professional student?

But I agree it seems most people here recommend Intel processors. I have nothing against either, but I don't know much in this field.



1 B.S (Multi media/Game Design)
2 A.S (Programming, Web Design)

m
0
l
June 15, 2012 10:05:21 PM

loops said:
Solid build here.


scubastevo2005 said:
Anyone trying to go with an Intel build on a budget build is insane. I will put my AMD machines up against any Intel machine when it comes to gaming. Having more cores when it comes to rendering is more important depending on the rendering software being used. I went to school for Multimedia and game design...you need GPU, Cores, and memory for rendering. I build gaming machines on a weekly basis for people and there running brand new games on the highest settings. Here is what i would suggest, this way you can compare apples to oranges and see what is the better deal:

8 Core AMD Processor/Gigabyte 990fx Motherboard Combo: $327.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

16GB Memory: $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair 650 Watt Power Supply: $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Kingston Hyper-x 120GB SSD Harddrive: $139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Western Digital 1tb Black Harddrive: $119.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cooler Master Scout Case: $79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX 6850 Video Card (with 2 free games): $149.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit: $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This build will play crysis, Starcraft, Diablo 3, Dues Ex, and Battlefield 3 on the highest settings on a single 1080 monitor, also this SSD has the fastest read and write speeds forr SSD's let alone in its price range, not to mention most of these components come with a minimum of a 5yr to lifetime warranty. This processor overclocks with aftermarket CPU cooler no problem to 4.2gz thats with a Zalman fan on it. Having the large amount of memory, 8 cores, and a powerful AMD GPU you should be set for gaming, rendering and for the future.



The OP said: Parts Not Required: mouse.

Where is the monitor?
1k build w/o at least a 7850 where the OP puts gaming as 1st on his list?

As for rendering: please post why AMD is better than an Intel at this budget. Benchmarks would be nice.
m
0
l
June 15, 2012 10:06:12 PM

Some good gaming mechanical keyboards are the razer blackwidow

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or the corsair k60.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=23-816-...

There are more keyboards out there that would be fine for you and the two i mentioned are mechanical so they tend to be more expensive. I personally really like mechanical keyboards, so make sure you look into those before going cheap on a keyboard.

This is a pretty good gaming monitor too:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
June 15, 2012 11:05:24 PM

scubastevo2005 said:
AMD will get you the best bang for your buck.


Why would you say this when tom's own benches have proven the lowly i5 2400 easily trumps the 8150 in gaming???


I like z_4's build.









m
0
l
June 16, 2012 2:08:58 AM

Thanks for all the input everyone! z_4's build seems to be the most complete so far and apparently the best.
m
0
l
June 16, 2012 2:40:45 AM

Quote:
well, my build will give A LOT more performance but its your call..... btw i didnt think you needed a monitor :??: 

I know but the build itself is out of my budget. If i had more money i would and ill keep the card in mind for upgrading. Thanks again!
m
0
l
June 16, 2012 5:07:15 AM

scubastevo2005 said:
Anyone trying to go with an Intel build on a budget build is insane. I will put my AMD machines up against any Intel machine when it comes to gaming. Having more cores when it comes to rendering is more important depending on the rendering software being used. I went to school for Multimedia and game design...you need GPU, Cores, and memory for rendering. I build gaming machines on a weekly basis for people and there running brand new games on the highest settings. Here is what i would suggest, this way you can compare apples to oranges and see what is the better deal:

8 Core AMD Processor/Gigabyte 990fx Motherboard Combo: $327.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

16GB Memory: $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair 650 Watt Power Supply: $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Kingston Hyper-x 120GB SSD Harddrive: $139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Western Digital 1tb Black Harddrive: $119.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cooler Master Scout Case: $79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX 6850 Video Card (with 2 free games): $149.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit: $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This build will play crysis, Starcraft, Diablo 3, Dues Ex, and Battlefield 3 on the highest settings on a single 1080 monitor, also this SSD has the fastest read and write speeds forr SSD's let alone in its price range, not to mention most of these components come with a minimum of a 5yr to lifetime warranty. This processor overclocks with aftermarket CPU cooler no problem to 4.2gz thats with a Zalman fan on it. Having the large amount of memory, 8 cores, and a powerful AMD GPU you should be set for gaming, rendering and for the future.

That is a pretty terrible build. Only a 6850 for such a pricey build???

Bulldozer is terrible with gaming and why 16gb of ram? 8gb is more than fine. No point in having a black drive when you have a ssd... Caviar blue makes more sense. The 6850 is not "powerful", I seriously hope you don't build these kind of computers for people...

Only Intel budget builds perform better than AMD ones...


http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o... i3-2120 is better than the FX-8150 in gaming...
m
0
l
June 18, 2012 9:35:08 PM

Is the biostar motherboard z_4 recommended any good?
m
0
l
June 18, 2012 9:39:33 PM
June 18, 2012 11:34:19 PM

ehanger said:
are you trolling?

He always makes really bad gaming builds that have low powered GPUs for the price.

No offence to him, but it is really annoying.


diesel96 said:
Is the biostar motherboard z_4 recommended any good?

Read some reviews from the Newegg page and watch the video. A Z77 ATX size board at that price raises flags for me.








m
0
l
June 18, 2012 11:36:45 PM

Patflute said:
He always makes really bad gaming builds that have low powered GPUs for the price.

No offence to him, but it is really annoying.



Read some reviews from the Newegg page and watch the video. A Z77 ATX size board at that price raises flags for me.


What is so bad about the build I posted???
m
0
l
June 19, 2012 1:04:32 AM

over powered cpu for gaming and a 550ti for a $1000 gaming dollar system. If you're making a system for gaming and it's over 800 you have to have at least a $200 graphics card, if not you're obviously doing something wrong. Also the motherboard is overkill for 1000 system.

It's not that it's "bad" it's just that it's not a very good gaming computer for the money. z_4's build will yield double the fps as yours, with the same price. z_4's also has a monitor.
m
0
l
June 19, 2012 3:04:50 AM

And he paired a 2011 cpu with a 1155 motherboard. Obviously trolling.
m
0
l
June 19, 2012 3:47:27 AM

The biostar seems to be fine just some wacky placement? is that a problem?
m
0
l
June 24, 2012 6:55:43 PM

Best answer selected by Diesel96.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
June 24, 2012 7:08:57 PM

No, Biostar now makes good Z77 motherboards
m
0
l
!